Skip to main content


17:20 15th August 2009


Today's match ended all-square with few clear cut chances at either end in a match which saw visiting duo Dean Lewington and Mathias Doumbe suffering unfortunate first half injuries, writes Adrian Smith.

Tope Obadeyi made his debut in the 53rd minute but did not see very much of the ball although he did cause some moments of panic in the visitors defence.

Town named an unchanged line-up to face MK Dons at The County Ground this afternoon.

The Robins named new loan signing Tope Obadeyi on the bench with Alan O'Brien back amongst the replacements after missing the midweek Carling Cup clash with an ankle injury.

Swindon were given a scare in the 5th minute when Jemal Johnson found himself with time and space to shoot from close range but his angled effort flew across to area with Jason Puncheon ready to pounce.

Three minutes later there was another scare when Kevin Amankwaah's attempted clearance struck Jonathan Douglas and the ball ricocheted goalwards but keeper David Lucas dived to his right to gather the ball.

The visitors had half hearted claims for a penalty turned down after Puncheon went down easily under a challenge . Puncheon also tried his luck with a curling effort from the edge of the area but the ball was always going wide.

The Dons were seeing more of the ball but Swindon threatened briefly with a weak header by McGovern which Gueret easily caught. Shortly afterwards Timlin fired in a free kick from 30 yards but his effort struck the defensive wall.

Billy Paynter

Swindon wasted another free kick in the 24th minute with a training ground routine which went wrong but shortly afterwards a great move involving Macklin and Paynter saw McNamee latch onto the ball with only Gueret to beat but his left footed effort went wide of the post.

The visitors threatened briefly when Luke Chadwick chased down a loose backpass and took possession of the ball but Douglas nipped in before the Dons player could shoot.

Lloyd Macklin used his pace to carve out a chance for Paynter at the far post but the Dons defence managed to cut out the danger.

Swindon had the first corner of the match in the 29th minute which came to nothing with the Dons defence hoofing the ball clear.

Luke Howell was cautioned in the 31st minute for flattening Paynter near the halfway line but the resulting free kick again led to nothing.

Sean Morrison tested Gueret's responses with a bullet header at the backpost from a corner but the keeper managed to parry the ball at the expense of another corner. The ball was crossed into the area and eventually reached Paynter near the penalty spot but his effort was charged down.

The Dons threatened in the 38th minute when Chadwick got behind the Town defence and crossed to Johnson at the back of the area and his shot was gathered at the second attempt by Lucas

Mathias Doumbe had to leave the field clutching his head after a collision with Dean Lewington leading to a double substitution with Darren Powell and former Town defender Sol Davis. Play was held up for 11 minutes while Lewington received careful attention from the medical and first aid team and he eventually left to good applause from both sets of supporters.

Danny Wilson on the touchline

Swindon looked very lively straight from the restart as the Dons readjusted their line-up with Billy Paynter putting Powell under pressure and Gueret had to be smartly off his line to gather a hanging cross by McNamee.

Jonathan Douglas did well to cut out a dangerous attack near the halfway line after Macklin had lost the ball on the edge of the Dons penalty area.

Eight minutes of added time were played with Swindon looking most likely to score but the half time whistle was finally blown after a lengthy first half.

Half Time: Swindon Town 0 MK Dons 0

The Dons had the first attack of the new half which resulted in Luke Howell bringing a good save from Lucas from a free-kick in the 47th minute.

Swindon responded with some neat attacking down the left wing involving Jean-Francois and McNamee before Paynter sent a good ball goalwards which only just missed Macklin in front of goal.

Debutant Tope Obadeyi made his entrance in the 53rd minute replacing Macklin who had looked lively and the substitute was soon in the action attempting to chase down a backpass but Gueret just beat him to the ball.

The visitors were forced into their last substitution when Danny Woodards went down injured and was replaced by Jabo Ibehre in the 56th minute.

Michael Timlin was cautioned in the 62nd minute for a foul from behind and up stepped Puncheon to fire in a powerful, dipping free-kick from 30 yards but the ball landed on the roof of the net.

The visitors had two corners in the space of a minute which resulted in a looping shot at goal by Puncheon after Lucas had punched the ball away.

Alan O'Brien replaced Timlin in the 65th minute but the visitors pushed forward from the restart and earned another corner which was cleared by the Town defence.

Jon-Paul McGovern

Obayedi was causing havoc in the Dons defence using his pace to induce panic with the Dons defenders giving the ball away which led to McNamee eventually crossing for Obayedi to earn a corner with a deflected header.

The visitors wasted a great chance when Easter headed wide from close range under no pressure and the Town defence were able to clear the danger.

Jemal Johnson carved out some space in the 76th minute and sent a dangerous shot low which was only palmed away by Lucas before Morrison hacked the ball clear.

Jermaine Easter drew another save from Lucas who did well to push the ball around the post at the expense of a corner which was cleared downfield by the Town defence.

Jonathan Douglas gifted the Dons another corner when he headed powerfully behind the goal with Lucas stranded.

Darren Powell was cautioned in the 83rd minute for preventing Lucas from sending a drop kick downfield and one minute later the keeper Gueret also saw yellow for taking too long to take a free-kick awarded for offside.

The Dons defence were keeping Town's attackers at bay as the match entered the 4 minutes of added time and Jonathan Douglas saw a yellow card for a late challenge on Gleeson although there were no clear cut chances before the full time whistle was blown.

Full Time: Swindon Town 0 MK Dons 0

Swindon Town: David Lucas; Kevin Amankwaah, Sean Morrison, Gordon Greer (Capt), Lecsinel Jean-Francois; Jon-Paul McGovern, Jonathan Douglas, Michael Timlin; Lloyd Macklin, Billy Paynter, Anthony McNamee

Substitutes: Phil Smith (GK), Scott Cuthbert, Craig Easton, Callum Kennedy, Alan O'Brien, Nathan Thompson, Tope Obadeyi

    Data provided by Press Association