Skip to main content


23:56 6th September 2009


Date: Saturday 6th September 2009
Competition: League One
Venue: Huish Park
Kick-Off: 3pm

An own goal by Terrell Forbes was enough for Swindon to claim their first away League win of the season against Yeovil Town, writes Adrian Smith

Forbes scored the own goal when he tried to intercept the ball which had been nodded on by Billy Paynter from a JP McGovern cross, but the Yeovil defender wrongfooted his own keeper with his headed interception and that proved to be the only goal of the game.

Danny Wilson was banished to the stands in the second half for protesting when Lecsinel Jean-Francois was fouled near the Yeovil penalty area but the referee decided not to award a free-kick.

Yeovil kicked off and looked lively against the Robins with Terrell Forbes firing in a shot in the 6th minute which was always rising and Lucas watched the ball sail over the bar.

The Robins attacked briefly with Paynter charging after a through ball but Yeovil keeper Alex McCartney cleared under pressure from the Town forward.

The home side had a good move which resulted in a corner shortly afterwards when Andrew Welsh crossed into the box only for Greer to head the ball out under pressure from Obika. Swindon allowed the Glovers plenty of space when the ball was crossed but fortunately Jean-Francois managed to hoof the ball clear to relieve the danger.

Sam Williams limped off after struggling for a few minutes but he eventually rejoined play after some treatment on the bench.

Kevin Amankwaah tried his luck from distance but his effort rebounded off a defender and out for a throw-in.

Sam Williams was eventually replaced in the 22nd minute by McCollin and shortlyafterwards the home side had a corner when an effort by Obika was deflected behind. David Lucas had a scare from the resulting cross when he lost control of the ball under pressure from Welsh but he finally took possession moments later.

The Robins attacked down the midfield through McNamee who was tripped but the referee played advantage and he regained his footing to send the ball out to Amankwaah but his cross evaded Hutchinson at the far post.

Swindon gifted Yeovil a free-kick after some sloppy play in midfield when Jean-Francois fouled Welsh and when the kick was taken by Ryan Mason, his effort struck the defensive wall and the ball went out for a corner.

Nathan Smith managed to miskick from the edge of the 6 yard box much to the amusement of the massed ranks of Swindon fans behind the goal.

Jonathan Douglas and Simon Ferry were getting some important challenges in to break up Yeovil's play but it was the home side who were looking more composed.

Swindon had a corner in the 34th minute after former Glover Amankwaah looked to be flattened off the ball and when the ball was crossed, Hutchinson headed goalwards but Alcock cleared the danger although the referee awarded a free-kick for an infringement.

Gordon Greer wins the aerial battle

Ben Hutchinson was fouled in the 39th minute near the halfway line and Swindon attacked briefly without looking threatening and the ball was played downfield to
McCollin who fired over.

Swindon took the lead in the 41st minute through fortunate circumstances when McGovern's cross from the right side of midfield was headed across the 6 yard box by Paynter where it was intercepted by Terrell Forbes who headed past his own goalkeeper for an own goal.

The slightly lucky lead lifted the Robins fans after the away side had shown little in attack but none of the travelling fans were complaining.

JP McGovern was flattened by Nathan Smith in the two minutes of added time and the Yeovil player saw the first yellow card of the game and there was just time for a final ball forward before the half was ended by referee J Singh.

Half Time: Yeovil Town 0 Swindon Town 1

The home side started the second half brightly looking determined to reduce the deficit and had half hearted claims for a penalty turned down when Mason went down under a challenge from Ferry who had played solidly for the Robins.

Yeovil introduced Andy Lindegaard in place of Craig Alcock in the 50th minute and three minutes later, Anthony McNamee left the field to be replaced by Temitope Obadeyi.

Billy Paynter fired over with a dipping shot from 30 yards shortly afterwards but his effort was always rising.

Ben Hutchinson

Lecsinel Jean-Francois received treatment for a late tackle near the edge of the Yeovil area and shortly afterwards Danny Wilson was shown to the stands for protesting about the tackle to the referee.

Gordon Greer was playing his usual solid role at the back for the Robins always on hand it seemed to cut out any loose balls.

Swindon were now playing some neat moves in midfield without getting near the home side's goal with Obadeyi having swapped sides to the right side of midfield.

Ryan Mason was cautioned for a nasty late tackle on Jean-Francois in the 64th minute and the Town left back was able to continue after treatment.

Lloyd Macklin replaced on-loan striker Ben Hutchinson who had struggled to make any impact on the match in the 67th minute.

Scott Cuthbert was also making vital interceptions at the back for the Robins as Yeovil continued to probe for an equaliser.

Obadeyi popped up in Yeovil's goal area tricking his way past two defenders but the ball was whipped off his feet before he could shoot.

Lloyd Macklin was fouled while in flight down the left wing and although the referee played advantage, Obadeyi was then tripped by Nathan Jones just outside the penalty area and he was shown a yellow card. JP McGovern took an inswinging free-kick but his effort was cleared downfield by the Yeovil defence.

Yeovil's final substitution saw Andrew Welsh replaced by debutant Jean Paul Kalala in the 77th minute

The home side had a corner shortly afterwards when Cuthbert headed a cross behind and the Robins defence cleared the resulting cross downfield.

Michael Timlin replaced Simon Ferry in the 80th minute who left the field to a good round of applause from the Robins fans after a good performance.

Lloyd Macklin wasted a gift wrapped chance in the 84th minute when he outpaced the defence and put the ball wide of the left hand upright with only the keeper to beat.

Yeovil had more claims for a penalty turned down when the ball hit Scott Cuthbert who had fallen over on the greasy pitch.

David Lucas was given a scare in the 87th minute when Kalala's cross landed on the roof of the net with the keeper beaten.

Lloyd Macklin was cautioned for kicking the ball away after being penalised for offside with two minutes remaining.

Billy Paynter earned a corner for the Robins which was played short and eventually resulted in a goal-kick after Jean-Francois and Paynter had combined in attack but the ball eventually went behind.

Four minutes of additional time were indicated and Yeovil threatened when Obika tricked his way forward before shooting straight at Lucas.

Paynter and Macklin combined to set up Paynter with a one-on-one attack but he shot straight against the keeper McCarthy.

The final whistle was blown with Yeovil on the attack and the massed ranks of Swindon fans celebrated the Robins' first away League win of the season against the Glovers.

The result means that Danny Wilson's team now move onto 11 points from 6 matches played .

Full Time: Yeovil Town 0 Swindon Town 1

    Data provided by Press Association