Skip to main content


19:01 29th September 2009


Date: Tuesday 29th September
Opposition: Exeter City
Competition: League One
Kick-off: 7.45pm

An 87th minute equaliser from substitute Richard Logan denied Swindon all three points at Exeter City on Tuesday night. Town had plenty of chances to win the game following Kevin Amankwaah's second half opener, but The Robins were unable to extend their lead beyond the one goal and paid the price.

Town boss Danny Wilson made two changes for the game with Callum Kennedy and Anthony McNamee coming into the side to replace Lecsinel Jean-Francois and Alex Revel. Tope Obadeyi partnered Billy Paynter in the front line with Wilson reverting to a 4-4-2 formation.

Swindon made a decent start with Jon-Paul McGovern forcing a smart fourth minute save from on-loan Spurs keeper Oscar Jansson from a 25-yard free-kick. Barry Corr's first real involvement in the game was to concede a fifth minute free-kick for a high foot inside the box in front of the travelling Town support. Craig Noone had Exeter's first shot on goal but his 30-yard free-kick floated harmlessly over following a foul by Cuthbert on Corr.

Tope Obadeyi showed some promising signs in the opening first quarter of the hour, linking up well with McNamee on the left hand side of the Swindon attack. Craig Noone then saw his superb 20th minute cross narrowly miss both Stewart and Corr inside the Grecians' box.

Anthony McNamee then turned provider with a fine low cross from the left which was gathered by Jansson. Scott Cuthbert was then cautioned for a foul on Corr on the half-way line. Scott Cuthbert was denied a clear opportunity on the half-hour only for McGovern's free-kick to be cleared for a corner before the Town defender could each the ball at the back post.

David Lucas was forced into his first save of the night on 31 minutes with Craig Noone latching onto a long clearance from keeper Jansson. The on-loan midfielder took the ball on before firing a low shot which was well-saved by Lucas 15 yards out.

Town should have opened the scoring on 34 minutes when a cross from Kennedy was flicked on at the near post by Obadeyi, with Paynter meeting the ball on the edge of the six-yard box but failed to trouble Jansson in between the sticks.

An injury to Obadeyi, who had started strongly, forced Danny Wilson to make a change with on-loan Celtic man Ben Hutchinson entering the action with almost an hour left to impress.

Moments later Simon Ferry missed a guilt-edged opportunity. A McNamee cross was met by Ferry six yards out but the Scot headed the ball into the ground but saw the ball rise to find the bar - not the back of the net. Barry Corr then flicked an effort into the arms of Lucas with Exeter doing their best to make an impression.

Half-Time: Exeter City 0 Swindon Town 0

The home side made a solid start to the second period, winning three consecutive corners but the Town defence stood firm and the scores remained level with all to play for in the second half.

Swindon then advanced forward with consecutive corners before McGovern's centre found Kevin Amankwaah at the back post and the big defender rose highest to head home his second goal in as many games.

Town should have doubled their lead with McGovern set free by Ferry, but the ball through was a poor one and the home defence were able to clear the danger.

Kevin Amankwaah

Jonathan Douglas then volleyed straight at Jansson following a deep cross from Kennedy with the Irishman found unmarked at the back post with the clock approaching the hour mark.

The chances continued to flow Swindon's way with McGovern playing through Hutchinson. The on-loan striker beat the offside trap but his poor touch allowed Jansson sight of the ball - the striker's first effort was blocked before the Referee blew for a foul as Hutchinson attempted to prod home the loose ball.

Exeter boss Paul Tisdale rang the changes on 65 minutes with Corr and Stewart replaced by Stansfield and Fleetwood.

Town's eighth corner of the match arrived on 68 minutes but a neat set-piece saw McGovern drive the ball to the on-rushing Ferry but his side-footed effort sailed over the bar.

Richard Duffy then drove a right-footed effort narrowly wide from the edge of the box before Billy Paynter was replaced by Alex Revell with 73 minutes played.

Alex Revell had an opportunity five minutes later but after advancing into the area saw his shot from the left hand edge of the box rise over. Michael Timlin then came off the bench in place of McNamee with Town looking to shore things up.

Timlin had an opportunity to test Jansson soon after coming on with a free-kick right on the edge of the box. The resulting shot had Jansson sprawling across the box and the keeper made another fine save to turn the ball round for an eleventh Town corner of the night.

The home side's persistence paid off with an 87th equaliser from substitute Richard Logan. A cross from Dan Seaborne found Logan at the near post and his flicked header found the back of the net in off the post.

Latest: Exeter City 1 Swindon Town 1

Exeter City (4-4-2): Oscar Jansson; Richard Duffy, Matt Taylor (Capt), Troy Archibald-Heville (Logan '75), Dan Seaborne; Marcus Stewart (Stansfield) , Bertrand Cozic, Ryan Harley, James Dunne, Craig Noone; Barry Corr (Fleetwood)

Substitutes not used: Andy Marriott (GK), Steve Tully, Rob Edwards

Goal: Logan '87

Swindon Town (4-4-2): David Lucas; Kevin Amankwaah, Gordon Greer (Capt), Scott Cuthbert, Callum Kennedy; Jon-Paul McGovern, Simon Ferry, Jonathan Douglas, Anthony McNamee; Billy Paynter (Revell '73), Tope Obadeyi (Hutchinson '37)

Substitutes not used: Phil Smith (GK), Craig Easton, Michael Timlin, Sean Morrison, Lecsinel Jean-Francois, Alex Revell

Goal: Amankwaah '53

Booking: Cuthbert '22

Referee: Mr K Stroud

Attendance: 5,337 (609 from Swindon)

    Data provided by Press Association