Skip to main content


22:30 3rd October 2009


Date: Saturday 3rd October
Competition: League One
Venue: Griffin Park
Kick-Off: 3pm

Swindon Town snatched all three points in a pulsating encounter as two goals from Alex Revell and one from Ben Hutchinson were enough to see off Brentford who were also denied by resolute defending and great goalkeeping, writes Adrian Smith

Danny Wilson's men earned their first league win in four attempts after four consecutive one-all draws but they were pushed all the way by Brentford's determined second half showing. The home side's Charlie McDonald was left to reflect on an amazing miss when he fired over an open goal but overall Swindon deserved their second away League win of the season.

Swindon lined up at the windy Griffin Park in their all white kit cheered on by 1,244 fans who made the short trip down the M4 to West London. Alex Revell and Ben Hutchinson were named in the starting line-up with Billy Paynter on the substitutes bench and Tope Obadeyi missing through injury.

Brentford had an early chance when Cuthbert fouled McDonald near the corner flag but Douglas headed the resulting cross away and the ball was eventually cleared downfield to safety.

Swindon had the first corner of the match in the 6th minute which saw the ball played short to McNamee but his curling shot went high and wide. Two minutes later JP McGovern sent a great ball into the area where it was fired home by Alex Revell from close range and he wheeled away in delight at scoring his first goal in Town colours.

Brentford responded with a shot by Alan Bennett which was always going wide and Town keeper David Lucas was happy to watch the ball go wide.

The home side had a half hearted appeal for a penalty in the 13th minute when Dickson tumbled in the penalty area when sandwiched between two defenders but the referee O Langford waved away their claims.

Two minutes later Swindon had their second corner which was taken by McGovern to Douglas but his first time shot flew narrowly over the bar after giving Bees keeper Bull a slight scare.

Swindon almost profitted from a refereeing decision when Mr Langford overruled an offside flag against Hutchinson who had been standing offside but Douglas latched onto the loose ball and surged towards goal to set up a chance for McNamee but the Bees defence intercepted the ball at the last moment to clear the danger. However the home side were clearly annoyed by the decision but managed to regain their composure quickly.

Swindon went further ahead in 21st minute through a goal of sheer class after McNamee had teased his way through the defence to send a classy ball behind the defence where Ben Hutchinson nipped in to fire past the advancing Bees keeper.

Kevin Amankwaah made a timely interception on Sam Wood just outside the penalty area just as was about to charge into the penalty area.

The Swindon fans behind the goal were in full voice clearly delighted to see the Robins managing to double their lead after the run of recent 1-1 draws.

Brentford were looking shell shocked but finally managed a decent cross in the 28th minute from Sam Saunders towards Carl Cort but David Lucas nipped out to catch the ball

Swindon had their third corner of the half in the 31st minute after Revell and McGovern combined for the Town midfielder to flick the ball off a defender but the resulting cross was cleared.

Carl Cort went close for the Bees with a header from close range which landed on the roof of the net with Lucas beaten in the 32nd minute.

Two minutes later Gordon Greer was cautioned for handball some 30 yards from goal but when the kick was taken, the ball went harmlessly through to Lucas.

Sam Wood went close for the home side with a spectacular overhead kick following a long throw which had been flicked on but Lucas caught he ball.

Kevin Amankwaah gifted possession to the Bees in midfield when his loose ball went to Wood but he did well to get back and snuff out the danger by whipping the ball away from Wood.

Charlie McDonald sent a powerful shot goalwards in the 38th minute but Lucas was well positioned and took the ball cleanly.

Swindon were looking happy to soak up pressure and sting the Bees on the counterattack including a great move by McGovern who fired a long cross to the backpost where it was headed back by Revell but no Town players were on hand to shoot and the ball was eventually cleared downfield

Charlie McDonald had a chance to Brentford in the one minute of added time but his curling effort went past the far post and that was the last action of a superb half for Swindon Town.

The Robins players left the field to a rousing reception from the massed ranks of visiting fans behind David Lucas's goal.

Half-Time: Brentford 0 Swindon Town 2

Brentford started the second half looking fired up and had free-kick early on for a foul by Amankwaah but the resulting cross was cleared downfield.

The Bees next attack saw Marcus Bean fire straight at Lucas and folow that with their first corner in the 50th minute which was easily dealt with by the Robins defence.

The 51st minute saw a truly amazing miss when a shot from Sam Saunders rebounded off the upright to the unmarked Charlie McDonald who managed to fire over the open goal from eight yards when a goal looked a dead certainty!

Sam Wood followed that up with a shot straight at Lucas as Brentford stepped up the pressure egged on by their manager former Oxford player Andy Scott.

Kevin Amankwaah was injured by a boot which caught him in the midriff but he was able to continue after treatment from Dick Mackey.

Swindon's defence was looking solid although they were indebted to David Lucas who made a point blank save from a header by McDonald as the Bees stepped up the pressure in the 59th minute. In contrast Brentford's defence seemed to panic under mild pressure as Swindon eventually pushed upfield after weathering the early onslaught.

Lloyd Macklin replaced goalscorer Ben Hutchinson in the 63rd minute as Danny Wilson looked to inject more pace into the Swindon attack.

Brentford had a corner in the 65th minute the ball deflected off Amankwaah but the danger was cleared by Kennedy although the home side were clearly stepping up the pressure. David Lucas easily dealt with shots by Wood and Saunders before Macklin was cautioned for a foul on Phillips in the 66th minute.

Simon Ferry had been enjoying a fine game again for the Robins but needed treatment after receiving a knock in the Town penalty area as the match entered its last quarter although he was able to rejoin play after a brief spell on the touchlines.

General view of Griffin Park, home of Brentford Football Club

Brentford replaced Sam Wood with Myles Weston in the 74th minute as they tried desperately to get back in the match. Their efforts were rewarded in the 78th minute when Carl Cort sidestepped two defenders before firing past Lucas from the edge of the area.

However Swindon Town 2009 are made of stern stuff and Danny Wilson's men responded in superb fashion when a long ball forward from McGovern was latched onto by Alex Revell and he advanced into the penalty area to fire a ferocious shot into the net to put Swindon further ahead in the 79th minute.

Michael Timlin replaced Anthony McNamee shortly afterwards but that only spurred Brentford on as they clawed another goal back when Charlie McDonald touched home from a corner in the 82nd minute.

Timlin was cautioned for some indiscipline off the ball at a free-kick for Swindon and although the home crowd were baying for a red card, the referee decided that a yellow card was sufficient punishment.

Billy Paynter replaced two goal hero Alex Revell with five minutes of normal time remaining and he was soon denied by keeper Nikki Bull who parried a goalbound shot.

Brentford were putting the Town goal under siege and Danny Wilson's cause was not helped by a late injury to Macklin who had to leave the field for a while after appearing to pull up with an achilles injury. However the young forward was able to rejoin play after a brief rest on the touchlines and he then helped out in defence.

The final whistle was blown to end an overall superb match for Swindon Town who managed to shake off the one-all draw curse with two goals by Alex Revell and one by Ben Hutchinson.

Full-Time: Brentford 2 Swindon Town 3

Swindon Town: David Lucas, Scott Cuthbert, Jonathan Douglas, Gordon Greer, Jon-Paul McGovern, Ben Hutchinson(Lloyd Macklin 63), Anthony McNamee,(Michael Timlin 80) Kevin Amankwaah, Callum Kennedy, Simon Ferry, Alex Revell(Billy Paynter 85)

Substitutes not used: Phil Smith, Sean Morrison, Lescinel Jean-Francois, Lee Peacock

    Data provided by Press Association