Skip to main content


17:09 10th October 2009


Date: Saturday 10th October
Competition: League One
Venue: The County Ground
Kick-Off: 3pm SWINDON TOWN 1 (CUTHBERT '14)
MILLWALL 1 (SCHOFIELD '82) Swindon Town were held to a 1-1 draw by Millwall at the County Ground. In a highly-charged game Scott Cuthbert's second goal of the season gave Town the lead however when Jonathan Douglas and Andy Frampton were given straight red cards, the game descended into a scrappy encounter before Millwall equalised with 10 minutes to play, writes Tom Otrebski.   Town boss Danny Wilson kept faith with the same eleven that took on Brentford last weekend. David Lucas was restored to the starting eleven after sitting out the midweek clash at Exeter City whilst Callum Kennedy started at left-back. Charlie Austin and Alex Henshall were left out whilst Sean Morrison and Craig Easton were both named amongst the replacements. Town flew out of the blocks early on and with some confident and stylish build-up play Ben Hutchinson fired a shot just wide of the far post. Then, moments later a through-ball from Alex Revell saw Hutchinson played in again on the right hand side. This time, the Town striker unleashed a powerful shot from around 25 yards out which stung the palms of visiting goalkeeper David Forde. In the 14th minute Town could have gone behind when former Swindon full-back Jack Smith curled a ball into the danger zone from the wide right position. Some hesitant defending resulted in the ball striking the post and bobbling free on the goal-line but Millwall's Jimmy Abdou couldn't force the ball over and David Lucas gobbled up the loose ball. A minute later the home side took the lead when centre-back Scott Cuthbert rose highest from a J-P McGovern corner to head home. A deep, floated cross was directed over the man on the post to give the Scot his second goal of the season after opening his account against Southend. In the 27th minute, Town midfielder Jonathan Douglas was given a straight red card for a seeminly innocuous challenge on Millwall's Jimmy Abdou. Amid howls of disbelief from the Town supporters, the referee Mr Wright deemed it be a two-footed challenge and gave Douglas his marching orders, leaving Town to play the remaining hour of the game with 10 men. In a re-shuffle, Danny Wilson brought on Michael Timlin in place of Ben Hutchinson to restore some order to the midfield. After a nervy ten minutes in which Abdou's every touch was booed by the home supporters, Marc Laid registered Millwall's next effort on goal when a ball bounced up nicely for him on the edge of the area. However, he could only lift his effort into the Town End allowing Swindon to take the one-nil lead into half time. Half-Time: Swindon Town 1 Millwall 0 At the start of the second half, Danny Wilson introduced Jean-Francois Lecsinel in place of Anthony McNamee, with Callum Kennedy moving forward  to operate as a winger. J-P McGovern gave the visitors a scare in the 50th minute when his viciously whipped corner threated to creep in under the bar, causing the visiting goalkeeper to take evasive action and tip the effort over the cross-bar.   In the 59th minute, Millwall's Steve Morison was guilty of miss of the game as he blazed over from no further than 8 yards out. Some good work from substitute Neil Harris found Morison unmarked on the right hand edge of the area, but he could only drill his shot into the empty seats of the Adkins Family Stand. In the 64th minute, the referee levelled the game up when he showed the second straight red card of the game. A 50/50 challenge between J-P McGovern and substitute Andy Frampton resulted in the Millwall man catching the Town midfielder high on the knee. In the chaos that ensued after the card had been shown, Neil Harris and Kevin Amankwaah were both booked following an altercation. Simon Ferry's vision in midfield almost created another Town goal. Ferry picked out Amankwaah's run down the right and he in turn picked out Revell in the box. The Town striker turned smartly before smacking his shot high over the cross-bar. In the 77th minute, Neil Harris almost drew Millwall level when his curling effort game crashing back off the upright. A cross from the right came all the way through to Harris who turned Amankwaah and curled a looping shot goalwards that had Lucas beaten before striking the post and being cleared to safety. Billy Paynter replaced Alex Revell with 12 minutes to go as Millwall began to apply more and more pressure. In the 82nd minute, Millwall levelled the game up. Some hesitant defending allowed Danny Schofield time and space just inside the area to pick his spot and drive the ball through a crowd of bodies and past Lucas. Minutes later, the visitors had an opportunity to take the lead as Town began to creak at the back. David Lucas came to the home side's aid as he did well to keep out the dangerous-looking header. The fourth official indicated 4 minutes of added time and the visitors set about trying to win the game. They almost did in the 93rd minute when the Town defence went to sleep and allowed a Millwall player to steal in and head the ball over from the penalty spot. Although Town extend their unbeaten run in the league to eleven, Danny Wilson will have the weekend to mull over another two points dropped courtesy of a goal scored in the final 10 minutes of the game. Full-Time: Swindon Town 1 Millwall 1 Swindon Town: David Lucas; Kevin Amankwaah, Gordon Greer (Capt), Scott Cuthbert, Callum Kennedy; Jon-Paul McGovern, Jonathan Douglas, Simon Ferry; Ben Hutchinson (Timlin 32"), Alex Revell (Paynter '78), Anthony McNamee (Jean-Francois H/T) Substitutes not used: Phil Smith, Craig Easton, Sean Morrison, Lee Peacock Match Officials Swindon Town vs Millwall
Referee: K K Wright
Assistants: J R Amey / G C Law
Fourth Official: A Davies Head to Head Swindon Town Wins: 29
Draws: 26
Millwall: 34
    Data provided by Press Association