Skip to main content


23:25 6th November 2009


Date: Saturday 31st October
Competition: League One
Venue: Prenton Park
Kick-Off: 3pm Billy Paynter celebrated his recall to the Swindon Town line-up with two well taken goals to seal a superb away win for the Robins, writes Adrian Smith. Further goals by Anthony McNamee and Simon Ferry, his first for the Robins, put the seal on  the win for Danny Wilson's side who withstood early pressure before clinical finishing in front of goal ensured that the long journey home would be eased by the welcome three points. The Robins had proved to be party poopers on a day when the home side were celebrating their 125th Anniversary including a parade by former players. Billy Paynter was recalled to the starting line-up against Tranmere Rovers and he was involved in Town's first attack when he got on the end of a cross from McNamee but his effort lacked power and home keeper Martin easily caught the ball. Tranmere responded strongly with a sustained period of attacking which included a scare for the Robins when former Town player Gareth Edds ghosted in at the back post  and only just missed connecting with a cross by Welsh. The home side had an appeal for a penalty in the 11th minute after a scramble in the penalty area but the referee chose to award a corner instead and that led to a good fingertip save by Lucas from a header by Broomes, at the expense of another corner.    Lucas was then called on to make another save from a shot by Curran to give away another corner which was eventually cleared by Timlin. Tranmere continued to apply pressure leading to another corner in the 15th minute when a shot was deflected behind and when the ball was crossed, Simon Ferry cleared the ball downfield to ease the pressure.  Michael Timlin conceded a free-kick on Town's left wing some 30 yards from goal and when the ball was crossed, Obadeyi gave away another free-kick 25 yards from goal.  Paul McLaren stepped up to send a curling shot goalwards but Lucas made another fine save to push the ball around the post for Rovers's 5th corner of the match but that was cleared by the Robins defence. Swindon were starting to get more possession in the Rovers half of the pitch and Billy Paynter was denied a header on goal in the 25th minute when Ian Goodison managed to flick the ball away with Paynter poised to strike. At the other end Edds was looking lively for the home side and he tested Lucas again with a stinging volley from the edge of the area but the Town keeper caught the ball cleanly.  Swindon were awarded a free-kick for a foul on Paynter by Broomes near the halfway line but Jean-Francois lost possession when the ball was played forward and the momentum was lost. Swindon had their first corner of the match in the 32nd minute when Amankwaah's cross was deflected behind and when the ball was crossed, it fell to Timlin but his effort went high and wide.  However Swindon took the lead 3 minutes later when a cross by McNamee to the backpost was volleyed home by Billy Paynter and he looked justifiably pleased to cap his recall with the opening goal of the game. Tranmere's discipline slipped and John Welsh saw a yellow card for a late challenge on McNamee in the 36th minute and the home side were unhappy shortly afterwards when their claims for a penalty were denied when Curran tumbled in the area. Billy Paynter's afternoon just got better in the 39th minute when he latched onto a superb cross by Amankwaah to fire home past Liverpool loanee David Martin in the 40th minute to silence the home crowd and lift the spirits of the travelling Robins fans who responded with chants of 'Super Billy Paynter'. Danny Wilson's men were looking solid all over the pitch no more so than in attack where Paynter was pushing for his hat trick when he outpaced the home defence in the 43rd minute but his shot lacked power and was easily saved. Paynter also did well to latch onto a cross from Jean-Francois at the backpost but his effort went across the face of goal. The half time whistle was blown with the home side poised to take their 8th corner of the match but the referee decided there was not enough time for the kick to be taken . The Swindon players left the field in control of the match thanks to taking more of their chances in front of goal than in previous weeks after withstanding some early heavy pressure from the home side. Half Time: Tranmere Rovers 0 Swindon Town 2 Billy Paynter started the second half clearly looking for another goal, putting the home defence under pressure and chasing long balls down. Tranmere's John Welsh gave Swindon a scare with a long range effort which went narrowly wide of the post and at the other end, Paynter was denied a goal when his shot from 25 yards thudded against the post with the goalkeeper beaten. Lescinel Jean-Francois had to receive attention when he was fouled near the halfway line with the home fans howling with derision although he was able to continue. Swindon turned up the pressure with Gordon Greer's header cleared off the line by Bakayogo and McNamee tested the keeper again with a teasing cross which was tipped behind for a corner.  The ball was crossed to the backpost where it was played back across for goal only for Scott Cuthbert's powerful header to be caught by Martin. Tranmere replaced McLaren with Chris Shuker in the 57th minute and shortly afterwards Ian Thomas-Moore was yellow carded for a late challenge on Amankwaah who needed treatment from Dick Mackey. Swindon caught Rovers with a classic counterattack in the 65th minute after captain Ian Thomas-Moore had been tackled by Jean-Francois and he sent a ball down the left wing for Obadeyi to chase and cross to the edge of the area where Anthony McNamee took one touch sideways before firing home with a low powerful shot. The Robins fans behind the goal celebrated jubilantly with the home supporters stunned into silence. Tranmere replaced Ricketts with Terry Cornell in an effort to get something from the game and shortly afterwards, Obadeyi went on a mazy run before unleashing a powerful dipping shot which went narrowly over the crossbar. Craig Easton made a return to the Town line-up replacing Timlin in the 77th minute but within 30 seconds the home side pulled a goal back when Chris Shuker fired home from close range despite Lucas's efforts to push the ball away. The home side sensed that there might be more left in the game for them and had more claims for a penalty turned down when the ball hit the arm of Jean-Francois from close range but the referee ignored their appeals. Jean-Francois was shown a yellow card for tripping a Rovers player on the edge of the area which led to the ball being crossed to the backpost where Amankwaah headed clear. This was Jean-Francois's 5th caution of the season so he will miss next week's FA Cup tie at home to Woking. The home fans had found their voice at last and were trying to inspire their side to get at least a point from the match. Charlie Austin replaced Obadeyi in the 85th minute and he was soon in the action sending a pass to Paynter who advanced before sending the ball back into the penalty area but the keeper gained possession. Simon Ferry continued to get in some important challenges in midfield although he was outmuscled in added time by Welsh who sent a hanging cross into the area where Lucas appeared to be impeded while clearing the ball and then Welsh fired a fierce dipping shot narrowly over the bar. Billy Paynter left the field in the 87th minute to good applause from the Robins fans when he was replaced by Lee Peacock.Swindon earned another corner late on but were unable to add to their goal count for the day and now move onto 22 points from 15 games played. However Swindon were not finished with their scoring for the day and their efforts were rewarded when Simon Ferry fired home in the first minute of added time with a crisp low shot from the edge of the area after receiving the ball from a short corner by JP McGovern. The Robins earned another corner late on but were unable to add to their goal count for the day and now move onto 22 points from 15 games played. Danny Wilson's men can reflect on a good Halloween afternoon at Prenton Park putting on a 'treat' for the travelling fans and Billy Paynter came so close to providing  the hat-trick which his performance deserved. Full Time: Tranmere Rovers 1 Swindon Town 4 Swindon Town: David Lucas; Kevin Amankwaah, Scott Cuthbert, Gordon Greer (Capt), Lecsinel Jean-Francois; Jon-Paul McGovern, Simon Ferry, Michael Timlin, Anthony McNamee; Tope Obadeyi, Billy Paynter Substitutes: Phil Smith (GK), Craig Easton, Ben Hutchinson, Sean Morrison, Alex Revell, Lee Peacock, Charlie Austin Last Time Out Saturday 24th October
Norwich City 1 Swindon Town 0
Saturday 24th October
Hartlepool United 1 Tranmere Rovers 0 Match Officials: Tranmere Rovers vs Swindon Town
Referee: A Bates
Assistants: C N Harwood / C Kavanagh
Fourth Official: W D Smallwood 2009/10 Referee Stats The match referee will be Mr A Bates who has taken charge of 11 games in and around the Football League this term, including Newcastle's 4-3 victory over Huddersfield Town in the Carling Cup earlier this term. Games: 11
Yellow: 27
Red: 0 Match Betting Click Here for further details with some great odds on offer ahead of the game.   Head to Head Swindon Town Wins: 22
Draws: 15
Tranmere Rovers: 21
    Data provided by Press Association