Skip to main content


14:41 20th November 2009

Full-time: Carlisle 0 Swindon 1 (Austin)

Date: Saturday 21st November
Competition: League One
Venue: Brunton Park
Kick-Off: 3pm


Charlie Austin scored inside three minutes on his full debut to hand Swindon all three points at a rain-swept Brunton Park on Saturday afternoon.

Town boss Danny Wilson made three changes to the line-up that had faced Norwich City in the last outing with David Lucas, Anthony McNamee and Charlie Austin all handed starting roles. It was a full debut for Austin with Lucas back in between the sticks after a bout of flu.

Carlisle included the experience of Graham Kavanagh and Ian Harte whilst Matty Robson, a regular in the Hartlepool United line-up under Danny Wilson, also started with former Stoke City front man Vincent Pericard another starter.

Consecutive corners from the home side inside the first two minutes of the game almost saw The Cumbrians open the scoring. A corner in from Robson found skipper Danny Livesey at the back post but he was unable to divert the ball home.

However Swindon's first real attack resulted in a dream start for full debutant Charlie Austin. Good work from McGovern found Paynter on the right and his cross found Austin who brought the ball down before stroking the ball home from just outside the six-yard box with three minutes played.

Carlisle's response saw a low drive from Chelsea loanee Tom Taiwo saved by Lucas before Town forced their first corner of the game on the ten-minute mark. McGovern's centre found the head of Greer who glanced his effort wide. Joe Anyinsah then had a fine opportunity to level affairs but could only poke the ball wide after shrugging off the attentions of Jean-Francois on the edge of the box.

It was Robson who tried his luck next with a 20-yard drive on 15 minutes but Lucas was equal to the task and gathered th ball with relative ease. Graham Kavanagh then forced another save from Lucas with a volley from the edge of the box which the Town stopper turned around the post for a corner.

Kevin Amankwaah could - and should - have set up a Swindon second on 23 minutes but after breaking free down the right, his cross lacked the pace to reach the Town strikers with Carlisle able to clear the danger. Carlisle striker Adam Clayton then tried an audacious lob at the other end which found the terracing behind the goal rather than the back of the net.

Carlisle United

Swindon continue with an impressive passing display using the open expanses of Brunton Park to their advantage. Carlisle's supporters become increasingly frustrated by a determined Town showing.

Town managed a corner inside the three minutes of first half injury-time with McGovern's centre almost turned in by Cuthbert who just failed to get a touch on the ball. The home side left the field to a less than appreciative reception from their supporters whilst Town could look back on a professional first half display.

Half-Time: Carlisle United 0 Swindon Town 1

Carlisle boss Greg Abbott made a double change at the break with Richard Keogh and Tom Taiwo replaced by Scott Dobie and Tony Kane.

Early pressure from Town forced a corner which McGovern played out to Amankwaah - unmarked on the edge of the box - whose header was cleared and the ball was cleared as far as Douglas whose volley flew over. Carlisle showed considerable improvement early in the second period and Ian Harte' 49th minute free-kick had Lucas back-pedalling to tip the ball over.

Carlisle continued to build on a solid opening to the half with Lucas soon tested again. A loose ball on the edge of the box was met by Robson who saw his powerful low drive well held by Lucas with 53 minutes on the clock.

Anthony McNamee sprung into action on 62 minutes as he collected a ball from Douglas just inside the Carlisle half. He cut inside Kavanagh before unleashing a fine 25-yard drive which forced Pidgeley into a save at full-stretch.

An injury to Charlie Austin brought an early end to the striker's afternoon with Southend loanee Alex Revell coming on in his place with 23 minutes remaining. Revell's first touch sees him gather a through ball on the right but his cross finds the arms of Pidgeley rather than the unmarked Paynter inside the box.

Billy Paynter's 75th minute drive flew over the bar after the front man had taken aim from just outside the box with Swindon still having plenty to do in defence as well as trying to create an opening for a vital second at the other end.

Assistant Referee Mr G Beswick was forced off through injury on 78 minutes with fourth official Mr P A Davison joining the action for the remaining match time.

Alex Revell had an opportunity to seal the win on 85 minutes when a poor back-header from Livesey allowed the striker through - but Livesey did enough to put the striker off and the effort went over.

Michael Timlin then came on to replace McNamee whilst Vincent Pericard was replaced by Richard Offiong for the closing stages.

Full-time: Carlisle United 0 Swindon Town 1

Goal: Austin '3

Swindon Town: David Lucas; Kevin Amankwaah, Scott Cuthbert, Gordon Greer (Capt), Lecsinel Jean-Francois; Jon-Paul McGovern, Simon Ferry, Jonathan Douglas, Anthony McNamee (Timlin '85); Charlie Austin (Revell '67), Billy Paynter

Substitutes not used: Phil Smith (GK), Callum Kennedy, Craig Easton, Lee Peacock, Ben Hutchinson, Michael Timlin

Attendance: 4,339

    Data provided by Press Association