Skip to main content


18:11 5th December 2009

Report: Town 3-2 Orient

Date: Saturday 5th December
Competition: League One
Venue: The County Ground
Kick-Off: 3.00pm SWINDON TOWN 3 - Paynter (pen) '49, Austin '75, 83 LEYTON ORIENT 2 - Thornton '66, 92' Charlie Austin was once again Swindon's matchwinner in a thrilling encounter with Leyton Orient at the County Ground. Amid a glut of goal action and a red card, Austin bagged two of the five second half goals scored to ensure two successive home wins for Danny Wilson's men, writes Tom Otrebski. Wilson made one change from the side that faced Wrexham last weekend in the FA Cup, Charlie Austin returning after being cup-tied. Loanee Danny Ward occupied a place on the bench. It was the home side who started the brighter on a wet and dreary day. The first half, in truth, reflected the conditions with Austin, Ferry and Paynter all spurning chances to score. The highlight of the half certainly for Town fans was David Lucas's spectacular goal-line saves that kept the scoreline level. After doing brilliantly to keep out the first effort, Lucas then proceeded to keep out the second header before gathering whilst under immense pressure. Into the second half and the game all of a sudden burst into life. Just four minutes in, a cross from the right fell at the feet of Alan Sheehan who moved away from his man only to be pulled back. The referee pointed straight to the spot. Billy Paynter strode forward to score although might have panicked momentarily as the goalkeeper got down to his effort, only to see it squirm under his body. Then came a period of good quality, attacking pressure from Swindon. Austin saw another penalty shout for handball turned down as well as having several shots blocked by the O's defence. Having already had two sighters from similar positions, Sean Thornton brought Orient level from a free-kick. His effort bounced just in front of Lucas and, on a greasy surface, the ball skidded under his body. With the pendulum now clearly swinging the visitors' way, Danny Wilson's men needed to calm things down and re-focus. They did that in the best possible way and re-took the lead. That man Charlie Austin gambled brilliantly to hand Town the advantage once again. Simon Ferry worked some room on the left and drove in a shot that looked to be heading comfortably into the arms of the goalkeeper. Austin ran across the defender and stuck out a leg to divert the ball into the back of the net.     The home side could have made it 3-1 before they actually did as they piled on the pressure going into the final quarter of the match. In a mad scramble following a corner, Gordon Greer saw his header tipped onto the bar and JP McGovern's drive was headed off the line by a defender. Eventually the pressure told and Charlie Austin scored his second of the game. Billy Paynter's driven effort was well kept out by the goalkeeper. However he could only parry the ball back into the danger zone and with no-one else reacting, Austin was on hand to poke home Town's third goal.   Moments later, Austin did magnificently to rob an Orient defender of the ball and set himself up a run through on goal. Tamika Mkandawire hauled him down and was shown a straight red card by referee Mr Sutton, despite protests from the visitors claiming there were other covering defenders. With the the fourth official flashing up four minutes of injury time, Sean Thornton grabbed a second goal for the O's to set up a grandstand finish. Luckily for the Town, it never materialised and they held on for all three points. Cries of "bring on the Rovers" rang out from the Town End as the match drew to a close and with just a week to go until the first local derby of the season, Danny Wilson and his players, brimming with confidence, will think this week to be a very long one indeed.     Swindon Town: David Lucas; Kevin Amankwaah, Scott Cuthbert, Gordon Greer (Capt.), Lecsinel Jean-Francois; Jon-Paul McGovern, Simon Ferry, Jonathan Douglas, Alan Sheehan; Billy Paynter, Charlie Austin Substitutes: Phil Smith (GK), Michael Timlin, Alex Revell, Lee Peacock, Danny Ward, Alan O'Brien, Craig Easton Leyton Orient: Jamie Jones; Stephen Purches, Ben Chorley, Tamika Mkandawire (Capt.), Jimmy Smith; Charlie Daniels, Sean Thornton, Luke Summerfield, Andros Townsend, Jason Demitriou; James Scowcroft Substitutes: Glenn Morris (GK), Luke Ashworth, Ryan Jarvis, Andrew Cave-Brown, John Melligan, Scott McGleish, Adam Chambers Referee: Mr G.J Sutton Attendance: 6, 850 (347 from Leyton Orient) 2pm - The teams are in. Jonathan Douglas has recovered from his bruised leg and keeps his place in the side, while Charlie Austin returns after being cup tied for last week's win at Wrexham. Loanee Danny Ward starts on the bench and there is no place in the squad for Ben Hutchinson.  2.45 - Good afternoon and welcome to a very chilly County Ground. The Swindon Squadron Air Cadets Band finishes playing, the teams start to filter into the dressing room and the County Ground is building up to the 3pm kick off. 2.58 - Soldiers of the armed forces form a guard of honour for the two sides as they emerge from the tunnel. 3pm - Charlie Austin and JP McGovern get the game undeway, Town attacking the Town End in the first half 3.05 - Charlie Austin has Town's first effort on goal, turning his defender well before scuffing his shot just wide. 3.11 - Orient have their first effort on goal when Andros Townsend finds space on the edge of the area however, he cannot keep his shot down. 3.13 - Town almost take the lead as Simon Ferry meets McGovern's cross. Jamie Jones does well to tip it round the post. 3.16 - McGovern is involved again as his clipped effort is plucked out of the air by Jones. Town look to be stepping up a gear. 3.25 - The game has slowed down somewhat, probably in keeping with the weather conditions: the mist is coming in off the moors. 3.27 - Take a bow David Lucas. The Town keeper pulls off a series of remarkable saves on the line to keep the scores level. A ball into the box is headed goalwards and Lucas reacts brilliantly to tip it onto the bar. Whilst on the ground, he snakes out a hand to keep out the follow-up and then finds an extra yard of reach to reign in the bobbling ball. Simply magnificent. 3.34 - That save seems to have woken Town up. Billy Paynter strokes a shot goalwards that's tipped round the post and from the resulting corner, Gordon Greer meets the ball only for it to skid off his head and land on the roof of the net. 3.46 - The fourth official indicates 2 minutes of added time at the end of the half. Town are on the attack looking to finish strongly. McGovern's cross is met by Billy Paynter at the far post but the striker can't keep his header down. 3.48 - The half time whistle goes and both sides go in level at half time. Half Time - Swindon Town 0-0 Leyton Orient 4.07 - We're back underway at the County Ground. James Scowcroft  goes ploughing straight into Kevin Amankwah and is subsequently booked. 4.11 - PENALTY - A looping cross from the right comes to Alan Sheehan. The man on loan from Leeds is pulled back and referee Mr Sutton points straight to the spot. 4.12 - GOAL!  BILLY PAYNTER strokes home the penalty. Jones gets down to it but it squirts under his body and nestles in the corner. 4.14 - It's all happening now. Charlie Austin flicks the ball round his man in the box. It strikes the defender amid cries of "handball" from the Town faithful. The ref isn't interested. 4.15 - Austin is involved again as his shot from Paynter's lay-off is well blocked by the Orient defence. The crowd are right behind Danny Wilson's men now. 4.24 - Orient boss Geraint Williams has seen enough from the players already out there. After spurning numerous opportunities, Ryan Jarvis is thrown on in place of Jimmy Smith. 4.26 - Great defence from the Town. Orient can only play it around the bank of players camped on the edge of the 18-yard box. In the end, Stephen Purches fires well over the top. 4.27 - Austin has another shot as he's played in on the edge of the area. His cross-shot dribbles across the face of goal and just rolls wide of the far post. 4.29 - GOAL! Town give away a free kick on the left hand edge of the area. Sean Thornton steps up and gets the ball to bounce just in front of Lucas who mis-times his save and allows the greasy ball to slip under his body and into the net. 4.30 - The home side are going to have to cool things down. Orient have their tails up as Town give away a couple of niggly free-kicks. Mr Sutton isn't endearing himself to the natives. 4.37 - GOAL! Charlie Austin restores Swindon's lead. Simon Ferry drives in a shot from the edge of the area, Austin gambles and stabs in from close range. That's two in two home starts for the ex-Poole striker. 4.43 - Town are in the ascendency now. Paynter has a shot blocked as the pressure is piling back on the visitors. 4.44 - Gordon Greer's long punt forward almost creates a goal as Austin sets up McGovern on the edge of the area. He beats the first man and with options in the middle the ball only finds Jones in the Orient goal. 4.47 - STILL that ball won't go in! After seeing the ball strike the bar and twice get cleared off the line, a goalmouth scramble ends with the ball going behind for another corner. 4.47 GOAL! Austin bags his second, turning in the loose ball after Paynter's shot was saved. Jones did well to push out Paynter's shot and Austin was on hand to drill in Town's third goal of the afternoon. 4.49 - RED CARD. Austin does magnificently to rob his defender of the ball to set up a run through on goal and is brought down by Tamika Mkandawire. Amid the chaos, Billy Paynter is replaced by debutant Danny Ward. Phew! maybe a chance to catch our breath now! 4.51 - Not a chance of that happening at the County Ground today. From the free kick, Alan Sheeham sees his effort tipped onto the crossbar. 4.53 - GOAL! Well Town don't do things the easy way. In the second minute of injury time, Sean Thornton scores his second when his speculative effort beats David Lucas at his right hand post. Are we on for a grandstand finish? 4.56 - FULL TIME - The final whistle goes and Town record their second home win in a row. Charlie Austin scored the winner as he did against Huddersfield. I'm sure he, like every other Swindon fan in the stadium cannot wait to face Rovers next weekend. Swindon Town 3-2 Leyton Orient    
    Data provided by Press Association