Skip to main content


17:32 6th February 2010

Report: Town 1-1 Charlton Athletic

SWINDON TOWN - 1 (Amankwaah 65') CHARLTON ATHLETIC - 1 (Bailey 90+3) It was a case of deja vu for Swindon Town as Charlton Athletic snatched a dramatic injury-time equaliser at the County Ground. Kevin Amankwaah had put Town ahead just after the hour when he turned home a well worked corner but, not for the first time this season, the home side were made to pay for not taking their chances, writes Tom Otrebski. Danny Wilson made one change to the team that drew at Southend with David Lucas recalled in goal replacing Phil Smith who dropped to the bench. There were also places among the subsitutes for wingers Alan O'Brien and Lloyd Macklin. The first half provided few clear-cut chances to write home about: Gordon Greer having the Town's best chance when he headed a Jon-Paul McGovern corner against the crossbar. Charlton's Nicky Bailey then rattled the Town crossbar with a thunderous effort after being picked out by Kyel Reid on the edge of the area. Charlie Austin had his chances: providing an opening for Danny Ward to prod goalwards amid a scramble in the 6-yard box, only for Billy Paynter to inadvertedly turn it away. Austin couldn't quite capitalise later in the half when a ball dropped behind him in the box, only managing to hook it wide. Simon Ferry's dipping volley almost caught out Rob Elliot in the Charlton goal but flew just the wrong side of the post, finishing what was a very physical first 45. The second period started much like the first had ended and it wasn't until the 65th minute that Town finally took the lead. Ward played a short corner to McGovern who knocked the ball in first time to Gordon Greer. Having peeled off his man at the near post, the towering Scot craned his neck and flicked the ball back into the danger area where Kevin Amankwaah was on hand to turn home his third goal of the campaign. Sadly for the majority of the 9,552 crowd, Town failed to build on their advantage and gradually allowed the visitors back into it. The warning signs were out from the off: Nicky Bailey was guilty of wasting two good chances to draw level. At the other end, Danny Wilson's men seemed to lose their creativity and confidence in the final third. Any Town fan could have been forgiven for thinking that lightening was going to strike twice when the fourth official flashed up five minutes of injury time. In the 93rd minute, it was that man Nicky Bailey who grabbed a late leveller to break Town hearts. A break down the left ended with ex-Swindon loanee Deon Burton playing the ball across the edge of the 18-yard box to pick out the un-marked Bailey. The Charlton skipper had time to take a touch before drilling a shot low and hard past Lucas and into the far corner. For the second time in a week and for the second time against Charlton, Swindon concede a crucial injury time equaliser. Despite earning a point, this draw will feel like a defeat to the Town support who have twice seen their side drop points since thumping Leeds United less than two weeks ago. Many will feel that three points against Oldham Athletic on Tuesday night are a must.   Swindon Town: David Lucas; Kevin Amankwaah, Scott Cuthbert, Gordon Greer (Capt.), Lecsinel Jean-Francois; Jon-Paul McGovern, Jonathan Douglas, Simon Ferry, Danny Ward; Charlie Austin (Macklin 83'), Billy Paynter Substitutes: Phil Smith (GK), Craig Easton, Michael Timlin, Sean Morrison, Alan O'Brien, Lloyd Macklin, Mark Marshall Charlton Athletic: Rob Elliot; Frazer Richardson, Christian Dailly, Sam Sodje, Grant Basey; Scott Wagstaff, Jonjo Shelvey, Nicky Bailey (Capt.), Thierry Racon; Akpo Sodje, Kyel Reid Substitutes: Darren Randolph (GK), Miguel Llera, Jose Semedo, Leon McKenzie, Deon Burton, Chris Solly, Dave Mooney Referee: A R Hall Attendance: 9,552 (1,073 away supporters) 2.20pm - The teams are in. David Lucas has returned to fitness following a groin injury, while Alan O'Brien takes Nathan Thompson's place on the bench. Former Town loanee Deon Burton is on the bench for the visitors. 2.46 - The two teams have finished their warmups and have slipped back into the changing rooms. The subs continue to knock a ball around either side of Rockin' Robin's new dance routine. Although to be fair we're not seeing much of RR today; he's leaving things to the Rockettes, his new dance partners who have managed to master the pre-match Haka. 2.57 - A standing ovation greets the two teams as they enter onto the playing surface. Kick off is moments away! 3.00 - The visitors kick us off looking very much like Internazionale with their black and blue vertically striped shirts with black shorts and socks. Town of course in that famous all red kit. 3.15 - After a niggly start, the game almost bursts into life when Jonathan Douglas has a shot parried behind for a corner. From the resulting set-piece Gordon Greer thumps a header against the cross-bar. Charlton starting to feel a little hot under the collar. 3.18 - How did that not go in!! A super break down the right sees the ball come into the box. Austin has a shot blocked, the goalkeeper misses the ball and amid a scramble of bodies the ball is somehow kept out. It looked like Danny Ward's goalbound prod was inadvertedly stopped by Billy Paynter of all people. The County Ground is buzzing at the moment. 3.24 - Town have really got the upper hand here and NEED a goal. I can't stress that enough. The way they're playing you can see one coming soon. Charlton's best effort has so far gone into the Town End and nowhere near David Lucas's goal. 3.33 - Austin almost makes a half chance count. A good move down the right hand side sees the ball come into the 20 year old off a defender. Off balance and stretching the striker puts it just wide. I've said it before in matches here at the County Ground and I'll say it again. This game needs a goal. 3.38 - At last Charlton put something together of note. A run down the left from Kyel Reid sees him skip past the challenge of Kevin Amankwaah and cut the ball back to the edge of the area. Jonjo Shelvey latches onto it and thunders a first-time effort against the crossbar. That's 1-1 in terms of striking the woodwork. Reid then stings the palms of David Lucas but Charlton have started to play a bit more in the last 10 minutes or so. 3.45 - What an effort from Simon Ferry that drops just the wrong side of the post. A short free kick comes to Ferry about 25 yards out. As it bobbles up the midfielder hits a vicious dipping volley goalwards that has the goalkeeper beaten but doesn't quite sneak inside the post. Contender for goal of the season had that one gone in I reckon. 3.48 - Well after three minutes of added time the ref blows for half time. It's been entertaining but in truth neither goalkeeper has really been troubled. Half Time - Swindon Town 0-0 Charlton Athletic 4.05 - Back underway at SN1. Swindon are attacking the Town End in the second half. 4.07 - Moment of concern. Gordon Greer suffers a pretty serious clash of heads with Therry Racon. Both are up pretty sharpish, the Town captain now sporting a Terry Butcher-esque head bandage. Racon disappears down the tunnel and he'll play no further part. He's replaced by Chris Solly. 4.19 - Chance. Danny Ward does brilliantly to float over a cross that just (and ONLY just) sails over the heads of both Paynter and Austin. It's starting to get frustrating rather than wasteful for Town. The official attendence is announced as 9,552, with 1,073 from Charlton. Not exactly Leeds United standards but still a decent crowd. 4.24 - GOAL! What a superbly worked corner. Ward to McGovern. McGovern flicked into Greer who nods it onto the penalty spot where Kevin Amankwaah turns home his 3rd goal of the season. At last! The crowd are back in full voice again. 4.29 - Didn't I say it? One goal and this game has all of a sudden come to life. Charlie Austin almost latches onto a through ball whilst at the other end Nicky Bailey drives in a shot that's comfortable for Lucas. 4.28 - Not much going on at the moment. Town have slowed down a bit since that goal and are playing a tad too deep for my liking. No-one really breaking forward from midfield to support attacks. 4.36 - Substitution for Swindon: OFF- Charlie Austin ON - Lloyd Macklin 4.47 - Into the last 5 minutes and Town are starting to feel it a little. A corner is played in and drops to Nicky Bailey, 10 yards out, middle of the goal. The midfielder obliges the home support by blasting the ball over the bar and over the Adkins Family Stand. 4.49 - Real pressure from the visitors now. It's coming straight back at Swindon whenever they clear the ball. FIVE minutes of injury time just flashed up. 4.47 - GOAL! Nicky Bailey breaks Swindon hearts as he drills in a late equaliser for Charlton. Unmarked on the Charlton right hand side, Deon Burton picks out the Charlton skipper who steadies himself before driving home. 4.55 - Full time at the County Ground. Like Southend last week the late goal means that although Town pick up a point it feels like a defeat. Three points a must on Tuesday. Full Time - Swindon Town 1-1 Charlton Athletic    
    Data provided by Press Association