Skip to main content


18:38 22nd March 2010

Swindon Town 1 Norwich City 1

Captain Fantastic Gordon Greer earned a deserved draw for Swindon deep in added time with a close range header from a corner by Sheehan, writes Adrian Smith Norwich captain Grant Holt had given the Canaries a 52nd minute lead with a powerful header also from close range but Swindon's persistence paid off gaining a very useful point against the League leaders. Danny Wilson was forced to make changes to his starting line-up with Simon Ferry suspended following his sending off at Southampton and Scott Cuthbert also out with a knee injury, adding to Swindon's lengthy injury list. Swindon made a bright start against top of the table Norwich City playing some good football and had good claims for a penalty waved away in the 15th minute by referee S Mathieson when debutant Frank Nouble was felled on the edge of the area. Gordon Greer also had a header cleared off the line in the first half which was the closest that Swindon came to scoring. Charlie Austin was also kept under tight wraps by the Canaries defence and the visitors  also played their part in an entertaining first half with several shots on goal without seriously troubling Town keeper Phil Smith although he did well to catch a header by Michael Nelson midway through the half. Norwich started strongly in the second half and took the lead thanks to Grant Holt  when he nipped in front of Jean-Francois to head past Smith from a cross by Rose. The visitors were unlucky not to add a second goal when Chris Martin's free-kick struck the angle of the crossbar and upright midway through the half. Craig Easton was shown a yellow card by the referee for a clumsy challenge  near the halfway line. Frank Nouble showed some good touches in attack playing alongside Austin but was eventually replaced in the 67th minute by Mark Marshall . Craig Easton was substituted by Michael Timlin at the same time in a straight swap in midfield.  Charlie Austin was unable to add to his 15 goal tally for the season after being tightly marked throughout and was eventually substituted by Vincent Pericard with fifteen minutes remaining. Swindon pushed hard for a deserved equaliser and were awarded a free-kick after Pericard had been fouled by Rose 25 yards from goal in added time. Alan Sheehan sent in a curling free-kick but the Norwich keeper did well to push the ball out for a throw-in. Shortly afterwards the ball eventually reached Douglas who sent in a ferocious shot which Forster did well to parry for another corner. Sheehan then took an outswinging corner where it was met by Gordon Greer who headed home from close range to send the Robins fans into raptures after snatching a point in added time. The Robins fans in the crowd of 11972 celebrated long and loudly as the teams left the pitch at the final whistle after a well deserved comeback against high flying Norwich. Danny Ward was named as Man of the Match playing his full part in the draw which sees Danny Wilson's team stay in 4th place on 67 points.    
    Data provided by Press Association