Skip to main content


18:51 25th August 2009


SWINDON TOWN 0 WOLVES WIN 6-5 ON PENALTIES Carling Cup Second Round, Molineux Swindon Town took Premier League Wolves to a penalty shoot-out at Molinux on Tuesday night after a battling performance at Molineux. It was Gordon Greer who struck the post after positive display from The Robins, Town made three changes to the line-up for the Carling Cup second round clash at Wolverhampton Wanderers. Callum Kennedy replaced hamstring injury victim Lecsinel Jean-Francois whilst Michael Timlin made way for Craig Easton at the heart of the midfield. The other change saw Scott Cuthbert come in at centre-back for Sean Morrison for what was the Scot's first involvement since the opening day at Gillingham. Wolves made eleven changes to the side that took on Manchester City at the weekend, with summer signings from Reading, Marcus Hahnemann and Kevin Doyle amongst those to come into the side. Seventeen-year-old Nathaniel Mendez-Laing was also handed his Wolves debut by Mick McCarthy. Town launched there first attack three minutes in following good work from Jon-Paul McGovern. The resulting centre from McNamee was just overhit with Obadeyi and Paynter unable to get a touch. The Wolves response saw big-money summer signing Kevin Doyle spin inside the box and hit a low shot inches wide of the Town goal with Lucas scrambling to get across. Town won the first corner of the game eight minutes although McNamee's centre was cleared by the home backline. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing didn't take long to endear himself to the Molineux faithful as his surging run thirteen minutes in earned his side their first corner of the game. The 17-year old then forced a superb save out of Lucas two minutes later. Captain Gordon Greer was forced off for treatment to a head injury as the clock ticked past the twenty-minute mark before Neill Collins fired straight at Lucas from just outside the box with a powerful drive. A bandaged-up Greer soon returned to the action, bringing Jonathan Douglas's 90 second career as a centre-back to an end. A fine Town move then presented the first opening of the game for the visitors. A deep cross from Amankwaah was met by Bolton loanee at the back post but his volley into the ground from eight-yards out on the angle failed to trouble Hahnemann. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing tested Lucas with a low drive on 36 minutes but the Town stopper held onto the effort. Anthony McNamee came within a whisker of handing his side the lead moments later, cutting in on the left hand edge of the box before lifting a shot onto the top of the bar with Hahnemann beaten. Tope Obadeyi's pace took him past George Elokobi inside the final minute of the first half and having advanced into the box, saw a left-foot shot hit the post before being finished off by Paynter only for the linesman's flag to rule the effort out. Half-Time: Wolves 0 Town 0 Town emerged unchanged for the second half with Danny Wilson keeping faith with the eleven that had performed solidly in the first period. Tope Obadeyi fired over for what was Swindon's first effort of the second half five minutes in after some neat build-up on the edge of the box. Wilson did make his first change on 56 minutes with former Eastleigh man Mark Marshall handed an opportunity on the big stage, replacing Anthony McNamee out wide. Jonathan Douglas was presented with a shooting opportunity just after the hour but with the ball bouncing up and away from the midfielder, his effort flew over. Substitute Andy Keogh pounced onto a rare mistake from Gordon Greer and unleashed a low right foot effort which fizzed narrowly wide of the Town goal. Tope Obadeyi was then replaced by youngster Lloyd Macklin with Danny Wilson making his second switch of the night. Mark Marshall almost handed Town the lead on 78 minutes with a low shot from an acute angle which Hahnemann watched strike the outside of the post. Billy Paynter entered the book with ten minutes remaining after a series of warnings from the match official for backing in. Wolves substitute Andy Keogh came close to earning a second round place for his side inside the closing stages of normal time but his effort, under pressure fromthe onrushing Lucas, fell just over the bar. The fourth official's board was soon raised to indicate three added minutes of time with the travelling Swindon support still in full voice. Kevin Amankwaah was then cautioned for upending Andrew Surman. Full-Time (90 minutes): Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 Swindon Town 0 The hosts started the half-hour of extra-time the brighter of the two sides with subsitute Andy Edwards forcing a smart stop from Lucas before the keeper was tested a second time minutes later. Ten minutes in an inventive run from Amankwaah saw the right-back release Macklin down the right. The winger did well to get to the ball and his cross was headed wide by Marshall at the back post. Andy Keogh then tested Lucas again with a low effort but the Town stopper was up to the task. Half-Time (Extra-Time): Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 Swindon Town 0 Wolves restarted the game heading away from the Town support with both sides entering what would be the final fifteen minutes of play. Alan O'Brien entered the action three minutes into the remaining half of extra-time with Billy Paynter making way in the front three. A superb ball through found Alan O'Brien on 114 minutes and the winger latched onto the pass only to be brought down by Hahnemann by the touchline. The referee Mr K D Hill reached for his pocket with the former Royal receiving a yellow against The Robins. Late pressure from the home side saw a corner forced with Neill Collins heading over eight yards. Alan O'Brien headed a late cross wide from McGovern just as the fourth official's board was raised to show an additional minute of play Full-Time (Extra-Time): : Wolverhampton Wanderers 0 Swindon Town 0 PENALTIES WOLVES SWINDON 1 Surman SCORE Kennedy SCORE 2 Jones SCORE Marshall SCORE 3 Edwards SCORE Easton SCORE 4 Keogh SCORE Macklin SCORE 5 Vokes SCORE Lucas SCORE 6 Collins SCORE Greer MISS Wolverhampton Wanderers through to the Third Roud 6-5 on penalties. Third round draw on Saturday. Swindon Town: David Lucas; Kevin Amankwaah, Scott Cuthbert, Gordon Greer (Capt), Callum Kennedy; Craig Easton, Jonathan Douglas, Jon-Paul McGovern; Tope Obadeyi, Anthony McNamee, Billy Paynter (O'Brien '108) Substitutes: Phil Smith (GK), Michael Timlin, Sean Morrison, Nathan Thompson Attendance: 11,416 Town Bookings: Paynter '81, Amankwaah '90
    Data provided by Press Association