Skip to main content


17:06 7th November 2009


Date: Saturday 7th November
Competition: FA Cup First Round Proper
Venue: The County Ground
Kick-Off: 3pm SWINDON TOWN 1 (PAYNTER '37)
WOKING 0 Swindon squeezed into the Second Round of the FA Cup with an uneventful 1-0 win over non-league side Woking. Billy Paynter's first half header sealed the win to put Town into Sunday's draw. Town boss Danny Wilson made two changes for the match. David Lucas was replaced by Phil Smith with Callum Kennedy started at left-back in place of Lecsinel Jean-Francois. 18-year old right midfielder Matty Barnes was included amongst the substitutes after impressive displays for the youth and reserve teams. Barnes joined The Robins in November 2005 and is a second year scholar. He also scored in Tuesday's 6-0 win over Yeovil Town in the FA Youth Cup. Swindon include five of the starting side who faced Histon in last year's FA Cup tie - Smith, McNamee, McGovern, Timlin and Paynter. Woking started the brighter of the two teams with Rikki Anane firing a shot well wide of Phil Smith's goal. At the other end, Town were being reduced to aimless crosses and through-balls as they struggled to find an early rhythm.  In the 17th minute, Billy Paynter had Town's first real effort on goal as he climbed above the Woking defence to head an effort which just dropped the wrong side of the crossbar. Moments later Paynter had another opportunity to test Ross Worner in the Woking goal but couldn't beat the keeper with a curling effort. The visitors' Rikki Anane was proving to be the most dangerous of all the Woking players, however it was at the other end where chances were flowing thick and fast: Phil Smith's quick distribution set up a quick break which ended with Paynter drilling a shot across goal from the right hand edge of the area that flew just wide of the far post. Topi Obadeyi made his mark in the 27th minute as his run in on goal forced a good save from Worner and from the resulting corner, Town were unlucky not to score the opener. Simon Ferry was fouled on the edge of the box and JP McGovern's curled free kick clipped the side netting as it beat the post. Wih less than 10 minutes to go to half time Billy Paynter headed Town in front. A corner whipped in from the right hand side by JP McGovern found Paynter at the front post who glanced his header into the far corner. The referee's assistant had initially disallowed the goal however after consulting with Mr Graham the referee, the goal was given to give Town the half time lead. Half-Time: Swindon Town 1 Woking 0 The second half, much like the first, took time to get going: both sides failing to create any clear-cut opportunities, the opening third punctuated only by the 61st minute substitution as Ben Hutchinson replaced Topi Obadeyi. In the 66th minute, the game burst in to life with a glut of chances for Town. First Anthony McNamee then Michael Timlin smashed in shots on goal that were well kept out by Woking's Ross Worner. The visitors responded by making two substitutions. With 10 minutes left to play, Craig Easton entered the fray as a replacement for Anthony McNamee, followed a minute later by the introduction of Lee Peacock who replaced the injured Simon Ferry. Michael Timlin created another second half chance for Town when had a free kick well saved by Worner as Woking grew more frustrated by their inability to finish in front of goal. The fourth official signalled four minutes of added time, which made for a nervous last few moments for Town. In the end they squeezed into the next round of the draw, due to be made tomorrow afternoon. Full Time: Swindon Town 1 Woking 0 Swindon Town: Phil Smith; Kevin Amankwaah, Scott Cuthbert, Gordon Greer (Capt), Callum Kennedy, Jon-Paul McGovern, Simon Ferry  (Peacock '81), Michael Timlin, Anthony McNamee (Easton '80); Billy Paynter, Tope Obadeyi (Hutchinson '61) Substitutes: Jakub Jesionkowski (GK), Craig Easton, Lee Peacock, Ben Hutchinson, Nathan Thompson, Sean Morrison, Matty Barnes Last Time Out Saturday 31st October
Tranmere Rovers 1 Swindon Town 4
Saturday 31st October
Woking 0 Braintree Town 0 Match Officials: Swindon Town vs Woking
Referee: F Graham
Assistants: B R Huxtable & A M Turner
Fourth Official: M Russell
    Data provided by Press Association