Skip to main content


16:57 28th November 2009

FA Cup F/T: Wrexham 0 Town 1

Date: Saturday 28th November
Competition: FA Cup Second Round proper
Venue: The Racecourse Ground
Kick-Off: 3.00pm WREXHAM 0 SWINDON TOWN 1 (GREER '81) Wrexham: Chris Maxwell (GK), Curtis Obeng, Ashley Westwood, Mike Williams, Frank Sinclair; Marc Williams, Neil Taylor (Adrian Cieslewicz '85), Wes Baynes, Andy Fleming; Christian Smith (Sent Off '52), Gareth Taylor Substitutes not used: Sam Russell (GK), Mansour Assoumani, Mark Jones, Hedi Taboubi, Nathan Fairhurst, Matty Wolfenden Bookings: Westwood '45 Sent Off: Smith '52 Swindon Town: David Lucas; Kevin Amankwaah, Gordon Greer (Capt.), Scott Cuthbert, Lecsinel Jean-Francois; Jon-Paul McGovern, Jonathan Douglas (Michael Timlin '85), Simon Ferry, Alan Sheehan (Alan O'Brien '63); Billy Paynter, Ben Hutchinson (Lee Peacock '57) Substitutes not used: Phil Smith (GK), Craig Easton, Nathan Thompson, Mark Marshall Bookings: Hutchinson '9, Sheehan '45, Greer '59 Referee: Mr G. Salisbury Attendance: 3011 (426 away) Wrexham enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges and Gareth Taylor proved difficult to control for Greer and Cuthbert. Taylor and former Town defender Ashley Westwood could have opened the scoring for the home side early on but spurned their respective chances. Midfielder Wes Baynes was in impressive form for the hosts, troubling Town with pinpoint crosses and through balls, while veteran striker Taylor was a constant handful. After half an hour Town began to exert a little more pressure on the hosts, with only a half chance for Alan Sheehan to show for it. Wrexham finished the half the stronger side but create only half chances against a Town side who have not kept the ball as well as they have done in recent matches, and will have to improve in the second half if they are to progress. Wrexham again started the stronger in the second period, but were pegged back when midfielder Christian Smith was sent off for a late challenge on Douglas. Smith went over the ball in a 50/50 challenge and the referee decided he deserved to go. The numerical difference was not immediately apparent as both sides continued to look evenly matched, and only a wonderful point blank save from David Lucas prevented Wes Baynes giving Wrexham the lead half way through the period. The visitors struggled to get McGovern or O'Brien in the game on either flank, and as a result struggled to create a chance until Paynter's deflected long range effort looped over the bar for a corner. McGovern whipped it in to a dangerous area and Greer was there first to nod home. Town had Lucas to thank at various points during the second half as a string of excellent saves kept the hosts at bay. Wilson's men dropped deeper and deeper as the 10 men of Wrexham pushed forward before Greer put them in front. Even after the goal Town failed to keep hold of the ball for any period of time, but a tiring home side looked deflated and failed to really trouble Lucas again. A forgettable performance from Town, but the right result that sees them through to the potential glamour of the Third Round. The key events are from the game are as follows.... 2.50pm - Town return to the changing rooms to prepare for kick-off. A healthy number of visiting fans fill the Eric Roberts stand behind the goal. 3pm - The match kicks off. 3.03pm - The first chance of the game falls to the home side. A long ball from Frank Sinclair sets Williams through who squares for Gareth Taylor to shoot from the edge of the box, but David Lucas is down sharply to save at his near post. Marc Williams follows up but is adjudged offside. 3.17pm - A corner from Wes Baynes flashes across the Town goals but no one can finish it off. Wrexham are enjoying the better of the game currently. 3.18pm - A long throw from Curtis Obeng is flicked on by Gareth Taylor for Ashley Westwood who heads over from close range. 3.21pm - Wes Baynes' corner reaches Gareth Taylor who heads powerfully at goal, but Paynter saves Town with a header off the line. 3.22pm - Another Wrexham corner is cleared by Greer straight back to the taker Baynes, who whips in a right footed shot which Lucas watches over his crossbar. 3.23pm - Wes Baynes fizzes a free kick under the Town wall, and Lucas does well to get his body behind it and make the save. 3.26pm - A sharp break from JP McGovern on the left sets Paynter away, who finds Alan Sheehan, and the Irishman gets a shot away from 2 yards which takes a deflection and loops over. 3.40pm - McGovern whips in a low cross which flashes across the box and into Chris Maxwell's arms in the Wrexham goal. 3.44pm - A cross from Williams is headed well over by Neil Taylor from the penalty spot. HALF TIME Wrexham 0 Town 0 4.04pm - David Lucas makes a sharp save from Christian Smith at his near post after a long throw. 4.07pm - RED CARD: Smith is then sent off for a foul on Jonathan Douglas. 4.12pm - McGovern's deep cross reaches Paynter at the back post who heads straight at Maxwell when he should have done better. 4.13pm - SUBSTITUTION: Lee Peacock replaces the disappointing Ben Hutchinson up front for Town 4.23pm - Sheehan hits a long range effort from 25 yards, but Maxwell is equal to it. 4.24pm - SUBSTITUTION: Alan Sheehan is booed off by the home fans as he is replaced by Alan O'Brien. 4.28pm - A surging run from Baynes looks like being intercepted by Kevin Amankwaah, but he plays it back into Baynes' path who looks certain to score, but Lucas makes a stunning finger tip save to keep parity for Town. 4.32pm - Town put together the move of the match involving McGovern and Peacock who flicks on for Paynter in the centre, but his shot is straight at the 'keeper. The goal would have been disallowed anyway as Paynter was ruled offside. 4.34pm - Marc Williams beats Douglas on the edge of the box and moves into the area, but can only shoot straight at Douglas from a narrow angle. 4.39pm - GOAL! Town take the lead against the run of play, as Greer nods in a McGovern corner from close range. It is the skipper's first of the season. 4.43pm - SUBSTITUTION: Adrian Cieslewicz replaces Neil Taylor for Wrexham. 4.44pm - SUBSTITUTION: Jonathan Douglas is booed off by the home support as he is replaced by Michael Timlin. FULL TIME: Wrexham 0 Town 1
    Data provided by Press Association