Skip to main content


21:52 9th March 2010

Report: MK Dons 2 Town 1

Town went down to their second defeat in as many matches with a 2-0 reverse against MK Dons at stadiumMK.

It was a horror start to the match for Town, with Aaron Wilbraham putting the hosts in front with barely a minute on the clock.

Sean Morrison hesitated in possession and was caught out by Luke Chadwick who burst through Town's defence and shot goal wards. Despite a sharp save from David Lucas, Wilbraham found himself unmarked and could not miss from 3 yards out.

Town looked shaken and could have gone two down had Wilbraham been more composed in space on the edge of the box, but he shot straight at the grateful Lucas.

The visitors then recovered well and could have equalised through Billy Paynter, but the striker's rasping volleyed cannoned off the bar and over.

Both sides then traded long balls for a period as they both struggled to make a serious assault on each other's goal.

The woodwork then saved the hosts for a second occasion, as Jonathan Douglas struck a powerful volley against the post from the edge of the box.

However as the half moved into its last 10 minutes Town went further behind through a James Tunnicliffe header. Mark Randall whipped in a corner from the left and found the unmarked central defender who headed home under little pressure.

Town were again denied by the post in the closing stages of the half after a powerful run and cross from Danny Ward was met by Paynter at the far post, but the woodwork again denied the striker and despite not having been at their best Town could have counted themselves slightly unlucky to be two goals adrift at half time.

Wilson's men then began the second half brightly, but struggled to create any clear cut chances in front of goal in its early stages as the hosts looked happy to hold on to their lead.

With half an hour left on the clock, the Wilson brought on Charlie Austin and Gordon Greer in place of Sean Morrison and Vincent Pericard, and while the pair's introduction galvanised Town, Willy Gueret remained largely untroubled in the home goal.

With Jonathan Douglas controlling the midfield and Danny Ward having the run on Dons right back Jude Stirling, it looked a matter of time before Town scored, but as the match moved into its final 15 minutes they were still two goals adrift.

Town continued to dominate possession in the latter stages of the game but with the hosts content to sit behind the ball with Wilbraham ploughing a lone furrow up front, a late comeback looked decreasingly likely.

The visitors were handed a glimmer of hope late on when the impressive Ward slammed home a volley from the edge of the box to cap an excellent performance, and although Douglas went close to salvaging a point soon after, The Dons held on to their lead, and took the points against a below par if unlucky Town side.

Season Tickets

    Data provided by Press Association