Skip to main content


17:01 13th November 2010

Report: Town 2 Colchester United 1

Town claimed a much needed three points with a 2-1 win at home to Colchester United courtesy of goals from Thomas Dossevi and Charlie Austin.

Colchester made much the brighter start, but it was Town who should have been in front when Michael Timlin broke clear after six minutes, but his side-footed effort was well smothered by U's 'keeper Ben Williams.

It was then the U's turn to miss a golden opportunity, as Marc Tierney whipped in a perfect cross for Kayodi Odejayi which the big striker somehow managed to head over the bar from six-yards out.

A few moments later the hosts again went close as Michael Rose curled a 20-yard free-kick around the wall and onto the post before watching as the ball trickled agonisingly along the goal-line and out for a goal kick.

It was still the U's who were having arguably the most of the game, but it was Town who took the lead, and it was fitting that it should come as a result of a failed Colchester attack.

Matt Ritchie smashed an Ashley Vincent long throw away from danger, and after Charlie Austin took it down and broke well he played in Thomas Dossevi, who cut inside his defender and drilled the ball brilliantly into the near corner.

The U's almost hit back straight away as David Mooney found space on the edge of the box and poked a shot goalwards, but he was left disappointed as it shaved the top of the bar and went over.

Town finished the half much the stronger of the two sides, playing some neat football and going close on two occasions as Matt Ritchie and Jonathan Douglas saw their 18-yard efforts pass just over and just wide respectively.

However Danny Wilson's side received a sucker punch on the stroke of half time as David Mooney crossed for Ashley Vincent to nod home the equaliser.

Mooney had looked a healthy distance offside when he received the ball on the right, but no flag was forthcoming and the goal stood - much to the consternation of Town's players, management and supporters who berated the officials upon the whistle.

Seemingly galvanised by the controversial end to the first half, Town started the second at breakneck speed, and forced a succession of corners before David Prutton went close to restoring their lead as he glanced an excellent Dossevi cross against the near post.

The hosts went one better a few minutes later as Charlie Austin capped a stunning team move with a cool finish under Ben Williams from 10 yards out.

Matt Ritchie showed great skill on the right wing to beat two challenges before sliding it through to Timlin, who exchanged a neat one-two with Douglas before the skipper played in Austin, and the striker made no mistake.

The visitors inevitably rallied, and although they were struggling to create any clear cut chances, they could have been back on terms when Phil Smith fumbled an Anthony Wordsworth cross against the post, but the ball fell kindly for Town and Sean Morrison could clear.

Colchester were beginning to look more dangerous going forward, but aside from Smith's error and a cross from David Mooney which flashed dangerously across the box, they created little other than half chances, and Town were good value for what was a deserved and much needed win.

The official STFC Facebook group

    Data provided by Press Association