Skip to main content


16:57 4th December 2010

Report: Town 2 Sheffield Wednesday 1

Town claimed a crucial three points with a 2-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday at The County Ground, courtesy of goals from Charlie Austin and Jon-Paul McGovern.

The visitors marginally shaded what was an entertaining opening period of the match, and they might have gone in front after 11 minutes when Jermaine Johnson raced through after a slip from Sean Morrison, but Phil Smith did well to deny the Jamaican at his feet.

But Town were also looking dangerous going forward, and it was their turn to go close after 15 minutes as Matt Ritchie nipped in at the back post to head a Paul Caddis cross goalwards, but the ball passed just wide of the post.

Ritchie again went close a few minutes later, poking a Charlie Austin cross on target, but Nicky Weaver hacked it clear with his feet.

After another brief period of Wednesday pressure, it was Town who went in front courtesy of Austin's 12th of the season.

The ball had been poked into the box by Jonathan Douglas, and Austin did brilliantly to volley the bouncing pass into the far corner past Weaver.

Town's celebrations were short lived however, as Clinton Morrison netted the leveller but six minutes later.

Clinton Morrison scores for the visitors

There referee had looked set to award a penalty after Darren Potter had been brought down by Phil Smith, but after seeing Morrison in space inside the box, he decided to play the advantage, and the striker had the simple task of rolling the ball into the empty net with Smith stranded.

The visitors took heart from their equaliser, and might have gone in front moments later as a long throw dropped invitingly for Potter inside the box, but the midfielder's powerful volley was well blocked by Scott Cuthbert.

Despite coming under some heavy pressure, Town soon settled and saw it through to half time at 1-1.

Danny Wilson's side flew out of the blocks in the second half, and were agonisingly close to making it restoring their lead, as Austin broke into the box and rolled a left-footed shot under Weaver, but the ball trickled inches wide of the far post.

Wednesday then proceeded to find their feet in the half, and would have been in front but for a fine save from David Lucas.

Tommy Spurr whipped in a back post cross which was met by Tommy Miller, but Lucas was across sharply to bat it away well.

Jon-Paul McGovern

After that spell of Owls pressure, it was Town who found themselves back in front, and it was former Wednesday man Jon-Paul McGovern who restored the lead.

Michael Rose hurled a long throw into the box which Sean Morrison rose to flick on, and McGovern reacted quickest to poke the ball home into the bottom corner and give the hosts a deserved advantage.

A Wednesday rally inevitably followed, and they went close to equalising on two occasions, as first Tommy Spurr rattled the crossbar from 25 yards out with Lucas beaten, then the substitute 'keeper got down sharply to push a Paul Heffernan shot wide of the post.

From then on it became backs-to-the-walls stuff as Wednesday sought parity, but it was Town who had the best chances of the final few minutes, with both David Ball and Charlie Austin seeing goalbound efforts blocked well by Weaver and Purse respectively.

After four minutes of injury time, Town held out for what was a well deserved win on a chilly, damp afternoon at The County Ground.

The official STFC Facebook group

    Data provided by Press Association