Skip to main content


17:17 28th December 2010

Report: Town 1 Peterborough United 1

A bitty first half and an engaging second half's football resulted in a 1-1 draw between Town and Peterborough United at The County Ground after Charlie Austin's 71st minute penalty had cancelled out Lee Tomlin's early opener.

It was a scrappy opening to the affair, with both sides being limited to half-chances as they sought to settle in the game.

Posh created the first chance of the encounter, as a neat passing move saw Craig Mackail-Smith break into the area and shoot for the bottom corner, but Phil Smith scrambled across his goal well to tip it wide.

The visitors went one better moments later however, as George Boyd broke well from midfield and played in winger Lee Tomlin, who cut inside and rolled a right-footed effort into the near corner past Smith to give Gary Johnson's side the lead.

Town reacted well to going behind, and went close to equalising on two occasions, as first Alan Sheehan saw his goalbound effort palmed wide by Posh 'keeper Joe Lewis, before Scott Cuthbert's looping header was nodded off the line by Grant McCann.

Vincent Pericard

The hosts again went close after 24 minutes, as Simon Ferry poked the ball into the path of Charlie Austin who found space 12 yards from goal before shooting high and wide when most Town fans would have backed him to score.

Town were almost made to rue their missed chances a few minutes later as the dangerous Mackail-Smith burst clear on goal with Cuthbert and Frampton appealing for offside, but the striker could only hit his volley straight at Smith, who did well to beat it away from point blank range.

Despite looking like they had not seen match action for a number of weeks, both sides were creating chances, and it was Town who went close again after 33 minutes, as McGovern played a neat pass through to Austin who broke into the box but again shot over when well placed.

As the game drifted towards half-time, Town saw another chance go begging when McGovern drilled a volley across goal which Vincent Pericard diverted away from goal when it had looked easier to score, and that proved to be the last action of the half.

Town began the second half marginally the stronger of the two sides, and might have equalised after 58 minutes when Alan Sheehan whipped a free-kick towards the top corner, only to see Lewis sprawl excellently across his goal to tip it wide.

Paul Caddis

The hosts were still looking the more likely of the sides to score, and though ironically they were not creating as many chances as they had done in the first half, they deservedly found themselves back on level terms after 71 minutes through a Charlie Austin penalty.

Neat link up play between Simon Ferry and Thomas Dossevi ended with the Scot playing in Matt Ritchie, who was brought down by a foolish challenge from Mark Little.

There were no arguments from the Posh defenders, and up stepped Austin to send Joe Lewis the wrong way and level the scores.

Town were looking the more likely to snatch the win, but it was Posh who went closest next, coming alive as they did after conceding the equaliser, and it was Phil Smith again on hand to save Town, tipping a James Wesolowski effort acrobatically wide.

Despite that chance, it was the hosts who finished the game on top, and they might have snatched it with the last kick of the game as Austin half-volleyed a Sheehan cross against the post with Lewis stranded, but Danny Wilson's side had to settle for a point.

The official STFC Facebook group

    Data provided by Press Association