Skip to main content


16:57 15th January 2011

Report: Town 0 Yeovil Town 1

Ten-man Town went down to a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Yeovil Town, after a second half Luke Ayling effort sealed the win after Michael Rose had been sent off.

It was a tentative opening to the match from both sides, with Paul Huntington's wayward effort the only chance of the first ten minutes.

Town came alive after 12 minutes when Matt Ritchie's crossfield ball found Charlie Austin inside the box, and the striker controlled the ball well, only to shoot straight at Stephen Henderson from a tight angle.

The visitors began to take a stranglehold on the game, using the substantial gale to their advantage, and they might have done in front on 21 minutes had Phil Smith not been alert to Andrew Williams' 15-yard effort - the 'keeper parrying the striker's shot sharply clear of danger.

Despite being on the back foot, the hosts went close moments later, as Michael Rose saw his goal-bound free-kick palmed wide well by Henderson.

Rose's effort seemed to awake Town after what had been a sluggish start, and they began to enjoy the lion's share of possession and looked well on top - testing Henderson with numerous dangerous crosses, and another pinpoint free-kick from Rose.

After a brief resurgence from the visitors, it was Town who went close on two occasions on the stroke of half-time, as first Thomas Dossevi saw his 20-yard shot deflected just wide, before Scott Cuthbert's header was scooped awkwardly clear by Henderson.

Town looked the more likely of the sides to break the deadlock, but they went into the break on level terms.

Yeovil flew out of the blocks in the second half, and were nearly in front as Luke Ayling's cross was poked inadvertently goalwards by Lecsinel Jean-Francois, but it trickled just wide of the stranded Smith's post.

It was Town's turn to go close minutes later, as Rose whipped in another dangerous cross which Austin stretched to meet on the volley, but he couldn't keep it down and the ball flew well over.

But just as it looked to be developing into an entertaining match, Town were reduced to ten men, with Michael Rose given his marching orders.

The left-back had broken excellently and was marauding forward before tangling with Luke Ayling, who lay injured on the ground with the Glovers claiming a stamp from Rose.

The obligatory scuffle followed, before referee Swarbrick consulted with his linesman and shown Rose the red card - much to the disgust of Town's players and management.

It became a niggly affair from then on, and the Glovers made their numerical advantage count after 65 minutes as Sam Williams pounced on some indecision in the Town defence to shoot goalwards, and even though Smith parried his effort on to the bar, Luke Ayling reacted quickest to nod the loose ball home from a yard out.

Town huffed and puffed thereafter, but found it tough to break down a stubborn Glovers rearguard who seemed content with their lead.

Substitute Vincent Pericard might have levelled the scored after 72 minutes when he found himself unmarked inside the box, but he could only nod fellow substitute Alan Sheehan's corner wide of the post.

Town barely threatened as the match drifted towards its conclusion, and though substitute Michael Timlin's volley looked set for the bottom corner, Charlie Austin's back prevented it from finding the net.

In spite of a series of late corners, Town were unable to fashion an equaliser, and they went down to a disappointing defeat.

The official STFC Facebook group

    Data provided by Press Association