Skip to main content


21:41 8th March 2011

Report: Plymouth Argyle 1 Town 0

Town fell to the bottom of the League 1 table with a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Plymouth Argyle at Home Park on Tuesday evening.

The visitors made a strong start and could have been in front as early as the second minute, as Matt Ritchie headed a Jon-Paul McGovern cross goalwards, but Romain Larrieu scrambled across well to palm it wide.

Ritchie was again involved as Town went close for a second time, the winger's cross-cum-shot nearly finding Andy Frampton at the back post, but as Larrieu gathered it, he cleared to set the Pilgrims on their way to taking the lead.

Yannick Bolasie picked up the ball on the left and drove past Michael Timlin into the box, before seeing his left-footed cross bounce all the way through to Rory Fallon at the back post, and the former Town man had time to take a touch and drill the ball into the near corner.

The hosts were well on top having gone in front, and they squandered good chances to double their lead as both Bolasie and Carl Fletcher saw volleys blocked well by Ritchie and David Prutton respectively.

Town did well to survive the home onslaught, beginning to find their feet again as both Timlin and Douglas went close shortly after the half hour mark; the former seeing a crisp half-volley well blocked by Onismar Bhasera, before the latter chested a clearing header on the edge of the box before volleying just over.

Despite rallying well, Town let Argyle back into the game and were nearly left red-faced as they surged forward at a free-kick in an effort to play offside, but the flag stayed down and saw Fallon find himself with space to cross. He did so and the ball found its way to Joe Mason at the back post who somehow managed to hit the post from three yards out.

It was a huge let-off for Town and they had Phil Smith to thank for keeping the score down on the stroke of half-time, as he fingertipped a goalbound Joe Mason effort onto the post.

Though no clear cut chances were forthcoming in the early stages of the second half, tempers were certainly fraying as Caddis, Prutton and Argyle skipper Fletcher all got themselves involved in minor spats that threatened to boil over.

Mike Grella nearly produced a moment of magic as he showed fantastic feet to jink in between three challenges and into the box, but he opted to shoot when crossing for the unmarked Prutton seemed the better option, and his effort was blocked comfortably.

Town were well in control of possession as the hosts looked content with their lead, but Paul Hart's side, for all their impressive build-up play were still lacking a cutting edge in attack.

The game drifted towards what looked increasingly like becoming a disastrous conclusion for Town, and in spite of the introduction of strikers Elliot Benyon and Thomas Dossevi, the visitors looked unlikely to fashion an equaliser, with a late effort from Jonathan Douglas effort the only test Larrieu faced in the second period.

As the final whistle blew, Town were again left to rue a lack of cutting edge up front as they reflected on a match in which they had enjoyed much possession, but had been effectively snuffed out by a dogged Argyle backline.

STFC Player shirt offer

    Data provided by Press Association