Skip to main content


17:11 30th April 2011

Report: Town 0 Oldham Athletic 2

Two moments of quality from Oldham Athletic captain Chris Taylor proved the difference between the sides as Town fell to a 2-0 defeat at The County Ground on Saturday.

Paul Bodin's first match in caretaker charge of the Robins had all the hallmarks of an end of season dead rubber, with neither side looking particularly interested in wrestling the initiative, and although Town created the better of the chances, they could have few complaints over the result.

Town made a bright start to the match, and might have been in front within five minutes as Billy Bodin burst into the box and turned neatly, only to drag his left-footed shot wide from 12 yards out.

The hosts were continuing to enjoy the best of the opening exchanges and went close again after 16 minutes as Lecsinel Jean-Francois rose well to meet Jon-Paul McGovern's cross, but he could only head straight at Dean Brill from eight yards out.

However, despite their early pressure, Town found themselves behind after 20 minutes as Chris Taylor was allowed space to cut inside from the left flank and drill an unstoppable effort past Phil Smith from 20 yards.

The goal took the spring out of Town's step, and the match subsequently began to take on all the hallmarks of an end of season dead rubber, with neither side operating at full tilt - though the hosts were still enjoying the lion's share of possession.

Billy Bodin

Another clear cut chance was not forthcoming for either side, with the last action of the half coming as Billy Bodin's appeals for a penalty were turned down after the youngster was brushed off the ball inside the area.

The visitors made the brighter start to the second period, but it was Town who went closest to notching the game's second goal, as first Calvin Andrew was denied by Brill from close range, before the Latics 'keeper reacted brilliantly to parry clear McGovern's first time follow up.

The game then continued to drift as listlessly as it had done in the first half, and though Matt Ritchie did test Brill in the Oldham goal with back post header which the 'keeper did well to fingertip wide, Town found themselves with a mountain to climb after 70 minutes and it was the impressive Taylor who again proved their nemesis.

The Latics captain, who had been the standout performer all afternoon, pounced on the loose ball 20 yards from goal before side-footing a cool finish past Smith and into the corner.

To their credit Town continued to put pressure on a stubborn Oldham rearguard, but a lack of potency in attack was looking likely to be their downfall again as the match drifted past the 80 minute mark.

The introduction of 16-year-old Miles Storey injected a renewed sense of vigour to the afternoon, but in truth the clash was over as a contest after Taylor had notched the Latics' second goal.

All in all the match proved to be a fitting way to end a hugely disappointing season at The County Ground, as, despite being so often in control of possession, Town flattered to deceive in attack and conceded avoidable goals at the back.

The official STFC Facebook group

    Data provided by Press Association