Skip to main content


16:55 14th August 2010

Report: Austin secures late Town point

Swindon Town left it late to stage a quickfire comeback at Victoria Park, coming back from two goals down at half-time to earn a point.

Goals from Adam Boyd and Antony Sweeney had left Swindon a brace behind with just eleven minutes on the clock. However, second half goals from Thomas Dossevi and Charlie Austin secured a share of the spoils.

Danny Wilson made two changes to the line-up from Tuesday night with David Lucas and Simon Ferry replacing Phil Smith and David Ball in the starting line-up.

The Robins made the worst possible start to the game, going behind with just four minutes played. A low cross from former Swindon winger Andy Monkhouse was not cleared with Adam Boyd latching onto the loose ball to fire home past David Lucas from close range.

Home fans didn't have long to wait until they were celebrating again with Antony Sweeney once again involved. A long ball through from Sam Collins was met by Sweeney who lifted the ball neatly over Lucas from the edge of the box with 11 minutes on the clock.

Andy Monkhouse, Hartlepool United

The Swindon response saw Charlie Austin's header from a corner cleared off the line before the fifteen minute mark. Town were afforded their fair share of possession but could not conjure up the final ball required to threaten the scoreboard inside the first half an hour.

On 33 minutes Charlie Austin had an opportunity to get one back but after brilliantly beating his man, was denied by a brilliant save from Flinders after going one on one with the keeper. The resulting loose ball was met by McGovern but his effort was blocked.

Hartlepool could have added a third ten minutes before the break after another piece of fine play. A ball out wide to Monkhouse was clipped inside to former Carlisle United defender Evan Horwood whose first time effort hit the crossbar.

Town went into the break two goals behind after what had been a quick-fire start from the home side. Danny Wilson made no changes to the side at half-time with Town continuing to match Hartlepool's 4-5-1 formation in the second period.

Shortly before the hour Wilson opted to make a double switch with Vincent Pericard and Thomas Dossevi replacing Jon-Paul McGovern and Simon Ferry.

The changes gave Swindon a new sense of direction with both substitutes soon having an impact. Thomas Dossevi struck his first League 1 goal twenty minutes from time with a superb low strike from the edge of the box, an instinctive finish for the Togolese player's first league goal in English football.

Alan O'Brien

Then Charlie Austin grabbed his second goal of the campaign with a close range finish with 72 minutes on the clock. A ball into the box was met by Pericard, with Austin wasting little time in dispatching the loose ball past Flinders into the bottom left hand corner before celebrating with the Town fans behind the goal.

The goal proved to be the last of the afternoon despite a series of determined attacks from a resurgent Swindon side, who will now look forward to next weekend's visit of Brentford - and hopefully a first three points of the campaign.

Full-time: Hartlepool United 2 Swindon Town 2

    Data provided by Press Association