Skip to main content


17:22 21st August 2010

Report: Town 1 Brentford 1

Town took their first home point of the season after drawing 1-1 with Brentford on what was an entertaining afternoon at The County Ground.

The hosts looked much the better side in the opening exchanges, but found themselves behind after eight minutes, when Michael Rose's headed back pass was not powerful enough to reach David Lucas, and the left-back could only watch as Bees striker Charlie McDonald stole in and rolled it under the 'keeper to make it 1-0.

The hosts looked shell shocked, and could have found themselves further adrift on two occasions soon after, as first Myles Weston was denied well by Lucas when one on one with the 'keeper, and then Robbie Simpson looped a header just wide of the far post.

After the frantic five minute period that followed their going behind, Town regained a little composure, and might have equalised through Jonathan Douglas, as the skipper latched onto the loose ball inside the area and hit a deflected volley narrowly wide.

It subsequently became a scrappy affair, with both sides struggling to keep possession for any length of time, and referee Rushton not helping matters with some pedantic decision making.

Sean Morrison

Town still endeavoured to play the kind of possession football that brought them so much success last season, and while they continued to enjoy the lion's share of the ball, a clear cut chance was not forthcoming.

That was until in the 41st minute, when Michael Rose launched a long throw onto the head of Sean Morrison, who flicked the ball across the box, where David Prutton stole in to head home the equaliser - his first for the club - and breathe new life into The County Ground.

While it was Town who finished the half the stronger, they still could have been going in behind, had Myles Weston not poked over the simplest of chances on the stroke of the break; putting a cross from McDonald narrowly over the bar from six yards out.

The second half begun in much the same vein as had the first, with Town looking the side most comfortable in possession, but still occasionally susceptible to a counter attack.

Douglas, Austin and substitute David Ball all had half chances to put Town ahead within the hour, but they either narrowly missed the target, or found Bees 'keeper Alex McCarthy on good form.

The game then drifted uneventfully into its last 10 minutes, but came alive when Austin and Douglas saw consecutive volleys blocked brilliantly in the box, which signalled the onset of another bout of Town pressure.

However it was the Bees who went close to stealing the win in the 85th minute, when a deep cross from Weston found Gary Alexander unmarked at the back post, but the former Town man could only head into the side netting when he might have done better.

The hosts finished the match on the front foot, with substitutes Ball and Pericard both looking lively and the latter going close with a powerful drive which flew just wide, but a sucker punch was not forthcoming from either side, and both took a point in what was probably a fair reflection of the afternoon.

    Data provided by Press Association