Skip to main content


16:59 4th September 2010

Report: Carlisle United 0 Town 0

Subscribe now to STFC Player for ?34.99 until the end of the 2010/11 season and enjoy behind the scenes access to the Town camp.?Click Here for more details. Town claimed a credible away point from Brunton Park, in a match from which neither side can really argue they deserved all three points. The hosts enjoyed the best of the early possession, but mishit shots from Francois Zoko and Charlie Austin remained the only attempts at goal as Town also struggled to break down the opposing defence. Town began to find their feet shortly after the 20 minutes mark, with Michael Timlin and Callum Kennedy working particularly well in tandem on the left flank. Despite both teams' endeavour and the hosts' considerable corner count, neither goalkeeper was put in any amount of serious distress. 0-0 was probably a fair reflection of a half in which both sides have huffed and puffed, but neither have shown enough cutting edge to take the lead. The hosts began the second period on the front foot, and quickly started to win corners as regularly as they had done in the first. Town again took time to settle into the half, but could have gone in front after they had done, but Pericard and Austin provided home 'keeper Adam Collin with simple catches from their respective volley and header. Carlisle began to control the game as it moved towards the hour mark, and might have taken the lead had David Lucas not reacted quickly to beat away Sean Morrison's goal bound intervention. Town still looked dangerous on the counter attack however, and might have gone in front when McGovern's back post cross drifted towards the unmarked Austin, but the 21-year-old chose not to go for the header, in fear of colliding with the post. The visitors were still conceding most of the possession, but were creating arguably the better chances, with both Ball and Douglas squandering decent chances to take the lead. As the home corner count passed 18, Town continued to stand strong at the back, and despite headers from Curran and Chester that passed just wide of the post, the score remained level. Austin might have stolen the win late on when he found himself one-on-one with Collin after being flicked through brilliantly by ball, but a cruel bobble made him shank his shot well over the top, and the last chance of the deadlock being broken was squandered. It was an engaging if disjointed afternoon's football at Brunton Park from which neither side really did enough to take all three points, and on reflection, Town will be pleased to have taken a point from a difficult fixture. 
    Data provided by Press Association