Skip to main content


17:49 18th September 2010

Report: Walsall 1 Town 2

Town claimed a 2-1 win over Walsall courtesy of goals from Alan Sheehan and Vincent Pericard.

They were three vital points for the visitors, but points that they looked like they had squandered during 20 hectic second half minutes.

Danny Wilson's side were on the front foot from the word go, and took a deserved lead after 10 minutes, when Thomas Dossevi broke well and found Paul Caddis in midfield, who played in Alan Sheehan on the left-hand edge of the area, and the Irishman drilled the ball into the bottom corner to send the away fans into raptures.

The visitors went close to doubling their lead on two occasions soon after, as first Vincent Pericard back-heeled a Kevin Amankwaah cross against the post, then Dossevi sliced over from close range when he might have done better.

Despite a couple of brief forays into the opposition's half, the hosts remained penned in their own half, with Town looking likely to score with every attack.

Jon-Paul McGovern, Sean Morrison and David Prutton all went close to making it two, and although they failed to do so, it looked a matter of time until someone in blue and white did.

It took until the 34th minute for the hosts to create a chance, and veteran striker Jon Macken might have done better when Ryan McGivern found him unmarked in the area, but he headed over the bar.

Chris Hutchings' side were beginning to enjoy a little more possession as the half drew to a close, and could have equalised again after 36 minutes, when midfielder David Davis shot first time but saw David Lucas get down sharply to his left to push the ball wide.

Lucas was again on hand to keep Town's lead intact shortly before half time, as he parried a Manny Smith header clear of danger, but finishing the half on the back foot, the visitors were good value for their half-time lead.

Alan Sheehan celebrates

Despite a strong start to the second half from the hosts it was Town who could have put the game out of sight in its opening stages.

Firstly, Thomas Dossevi was denied by 'keeper Brain when one-on-one despite looking comfortably offside, and then Paul Caddis brought down an excellent J-P McGovern pass and curled the ball just over.

It didn't take the hosts nearly as long to settle in the second period as it had the first, and as they began to look as dangerous as they had done all match, they levelled the scores through substitute Reuben Reid.

The hosts were rampant, and were unlucky not to go in front as Town failed to clear a corner and centre-back Clayton McDonald hit the bouncing ball against the post from the edge of the box.

However, just as Town looked set to have to cling on for a point, they restored their lead completely against the run of play, as Vincent Pericard diverted a long range Alan Sheehan shot past the stranded Brain to silence the home fans.

The striker's first league goal in Town colours inevitably took the sting out of the home side's resurgence, and the visitors restored some control over proceedings - so much so that David Lucas was not seriously tested in the final 10 minutes of the clash, and Wilson's side claimed a deserved win.

STFC Membership Schemes

    Data provided by Press Association