Skip to main content


09:34 29th September 2010

Report: Town 2 Plymouth Argyle 3

Town went down to a last gasp 3-2 to Plymouth Argyle after a pulsatingly topsy-turvy encounter at The County Ground.

The hosts looked to have snatched a point having gone two behind early on, but Bradley Wright-Phillips bagged his second of the game in the third minute of injury time to break Town hearts and bring to an end their run of consecutive wins.

Danny Wilson's side began the match seemingly oozing with confidence from their recent series of wins, but found themselves behind after just four minutes, as David Lucas failed to reach a long throw from Kari Arnason and Reda Johnson rose above him to head the ball home.

It got worse for the hosts five minutes later, as Jim Patterson beat J-P McGovern on the left and whipped in a cross which Bradley Wright-Phillips stretched well to poke home from six yards out and silence the home crowd.

Jonathan Douglas

Town looked shell shocked and took time to gather themselves - a process not helped by the enforced withdrawal of Alan Sheehan, who limped off to be replaced by Michael Rose after 15 minutes.

But gather themselves they did, and began to look a little more confident in possession, creating two chances for Thomas Dossevi, one of which he headed wide, the other of which he put narrowly over the bar having been set up nicely by Vincent Pericard.

However, it was still a bitty display from Town, and they looked susceptible to an Argyle counter-attack on a number of occasions, before David Prutton found them a way back into the match with a long range effort which somehow found its way past Pilgrims 'keeper Roman Larrieu.

Prutton picked up the loose ball 25 yards from goal and let fly with a powerful shot which bounced awkwardly in front of the veteran 'keeper, who couldn't prevent it bouncing over his hand and into the corner.

David Prutton

The hosts could, and perhaps should have been back on level terms on 41 minutes when Pericard found himself unmarked in the box after Larrieu had cleared at the feet of Dossevi, but the big frontman dragged his shot wide when he might have done better.

That proved to be the last chance of the half, but Town might have been on level terms twice within the first three minutes of the second, as first Larrieu got down quickly to prevent Johnson diverting McGovern's cross into his own net, and then Dossevi headed another McGovern cross high and wide on the stretch.

However, despite their initial pressure, Town found it difficult to break down a stubborn Pilgrims backline in a match which became increasingly scrappy as it wore on.

Michael Rose troubled Larrieu on 68 minutes when he drilled a free-kick he looked set to cross on target from a tight angle, and though the ball bounced around in the box for a few moments after, the visitors managed to hack it away.

Michael Rose celebrates

The visitors could have made Town's task even more difficult after 72 minutes when Bradley Wright-Phillips headed against the cross bar when unmarked in the box, and he lived to regret it moments later as Paul Caddis was brought down on the edge of the box, and Michael Rose stepped up to smash home his first goal in a Town shirt and level the scores.

What was becoming a frantic match took another twist on 75 minutes, as David Prutton brought down Wright-Phillips on the edge of the centre circle, and, having already been booked, left the referee no choice but to send him off.

Wright-Phillips proceeded to squander another golden opportunity for the visitors, as a deflected Bolasie cross dropped into his path inside the box, but he sliced it well over the bar.

It really was a case of 'backs to the wall' for the last ten minutes, as the Pilgrims threw everything they had at Town.

Town celebrate

They might have snatched the points on 86 minutes as skipper Carl Fletcher found himself with time in the box, but his shot from point blank range was beaten out brilliantly by Lucas to preserve parity for the depleted hosts.

Apart from this Argyle didn't look like making their numerical advantage count, and they lost the chance to do that in the last minute of normal time as their first scorer Reda Johnson was shown a second yellow card for deliberate handball.

It was Town who then looked the most likely to claim all three points as five minutes of injury time were signalled, but it was the Pilgrims who did just that, as Bradley Wright-Phillips rose highest in the 93rd minute to nod home a Yannick Bolasie cross and snatch the points.

STFC Membership Schemes

    Data provided by Press Association