Skip to main content


16:57 2nd October 2010

Report: Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Town 1

Town went down to a disappointing 2-1 reverse at the hands of Dagenham & Redbridge in the torrential rain on Saturday afternoon.

The visitors flew out of the blocks and made a dream start with Thomas Dossevi giving them the lead with just 50 seconds on the watch.

After being played in by a quick Jonathan Douglas free-kick, Michael Rose whipped in a pinpoint cross, which found Dossevi with acres of space inside the area, and he looped an excellent header into the far corner via the inside of the post.

The 31-year-old could have made it two moments later as David Ball, replacing Jon-Paul McGovern in a free role behind the front two, slotted a pass through, but Dossevi's shot was well saved down low by veteran 'keeper Tony Roberts.

After a whirlwind start from the visitors, the Daggers began to find their feet and went close to equalising after five minutes, as Douglas let a low cross skid under his boot, and Romain Vincelot let fly with a snap shot which flashed narrowly wide.

Thomas Dossevi

And Town had David Lucas to thank for keeping their lead intact ten minutes later; the 'keeper making a stunning save to deny Bas Savage from point blank range after the big striker had powered Gavin Tomlin's cross goalwards.

A inevitable lull then followed what was a scintillating start, and it took until the 37th minute for either 'keeper to be tested again, with Lucas again on hand to keep Town's lead intact, smothering the onrushing left-back Damien McCrory who had burst into the visitors' box.

A tame Danny Green free-kick aside, that proved to be the last action of the half, and Danny Wilson will have gone into the break reasonably happy with proceedings.

In stark contrast to the first period, Town made a nightmare start to the second, as their lead was wiped out within three minutes of the re-start.

Scott Cuthbert allowed a harmless looking ball forward skid over his head, and the dangerous Tomlin played the ball through to Damian Scannell, who cut into the area, and rolled the ball calmly into the far corner past Lucas.

That signalled something of an onslaught from the hosts, who piled forward and looked by far the more likely of the sides to add to the score.

This remained the case as the game passed the hour mark, and it was Scannell who could have put the Daggers ahead as he broke through on goal but again found David Lucas in supreme form; the 'keeper spreading himself well deflecting the ball wide.

Tony Roberts, Dagenham & Redbridge goalkeeper

And Scannell again went close moments later; beating Kevin Amankwaah on the Town right and curling a shot just over the top.

It then came as little surprise when the hosts took the lead after 80 minutes, as Town failed to deal with a Danny Green long throw, and the bouncing ball found its way to Bas Savage at the back post, who swivelled and placed a half volley past Lucas into the corner.

The goal galvanised the visitors who might have equalised on 84 minutes as an Alan O'Brien cross found its way to McGovern at the back post, whose left footed shot was brilliant tipped over by Roberts.

Town had other chances to get back on level terms, but both McGovern and Pericard shot straight at Roberts when they might have done better.

As final whistle blew, Town were left to reflect on what might have been, having been defeated in a game they had started so well.

STFC Membership Schemes

    Data provided by Press Association