Skip to main content


16:54 6th November 2010

Report: Plymouth Argyle 0 Town 4

Swindon Town powered through to the FA Cup Second Round with four goals at Home Park against ten-man Plymouth Argyle securing a convincing win.

Town went into the half-time interval two goals ahead thanks to headers from Sean Morrison and Charlie Austin and further enhanced their advantage with second half strikes from Vincent Pericard and Matt Ritchie following the dismissal of Dean Parrett in first half injury-time.

Michael Timlin made an immediate return to the line-up after his recall from a loan spell at Southend United in place of Paul Caddis. Nathan Thompson was left on the bench with Lecsinel Jean-Francois handed a starting place in the heart of the defence with Scott Cuthbert moving to right-back.

The home side were forced into a change with experienced stopper Romain Larrieu, in goal for the last meeting between the two sides at Home Park back in 2004, starting in place of the injured David Button.

Swindon started the game the better of the two sides and created a plethora of chances inside the opening quarter of an hour. Matt Ritchie could have bagged a brace inside the opening minutes with home keeper Romain Larrieu forced into early saves.

Further chances came Swindon's way with Larrieu's agility and alertness denying good efforts from Austin, Rose and Pericard.

Swindon's lead arrived with 21 minutes on the clock. Sean Morrison, who was earlier denied by Larrieu, broke the deadlock with a towering header which finally had the beating of Argyle's French stopper.

Plymouth then got themselves back into the game with plenty of possession although failed to really trouble Phil Smith in the Town goal. Lecsinel Jean-Francois made an assured start on his return to the line-up with Austin and Pericard looking much more of a partnership up front.

Town notched a second on 41 minutes. A deep free-kick into the box from Rose was met by Austin who powerfully headed home from the edge of the six yard box. The striker could have grabbed another minutes later although his drive from the edge of the box was parried away by Larrieu, who had been by far the busier of the two custodians in the opening half.

Charlie Austin heads home

Charlie Austin celebrates

Things went from bad to worse for the home side inside first half injury time with on-loan Spurs midfielder Dean Parrett shown a straight red card for a two-footed challenge on David Prutton.

Half-time: Plymouth Argyle 0 Swindon Town 2

Going into the second period against ten men, Swindon made a bright start and took just seven minutes to net a third. Good work from Ritchie on the left saw the winger slide in a low cross which was met by Pericard who diverted the ball home from three yards.

Plymouth boss Peter Reid made his first change of the game three minutes before the hour mark with former Swindon striker Rory Fallon brought off with Chris Clark entering the fray.

Swindon continued to power forward after the hour and continued to create chances, with Matt Ritchie heading home the fourth from close range following a deep cross into the box from Charlie Austin.

The home side introduced Chris Clark, Joe Mason and Lee Molyneux in a bid to register a comeback. However Swindon were in no mood to take their foot off the gas with David Prutton and Michael Timlin continuing to cover every blade of the Home Park surface.

Town too made changes with Thomas Dossevi, Paul Caddis and Alan O'Brien all getting a chance to impress. Dossevi wasted one good chance after firing wide whilst O'Brien almost teed up Austin with an 80th minute opportunity after showing great pace down the right hand side.

After three minutes of added time the Referee called time on a professional performance from Swindon who can now look forward to Sunday's Second Round draw.

Full-time: Plymouth Argyle 0 Swindon Town 4

The official STFC Facebook group

    Data provided by Press Association