Skip to main content


21:43 25th January 2011

Report: Town 0 Tranmere Rovers 0

Town stopped a run of three consecutive defeats after a 0-0 draw with Tranmere Rovers at The County Ground.

Danny Wilson will feel his side did enough to win it with Charlie Austin and Thomas Dossevi going close in the second half, but it proved to be a frustrating night for Town.

The hosts made a bright start to the match, and might have gone in front after just two minutes as Jon-Paul McGovern met a Charlie Austin lay-off first time, but guided his 12-yard shot just over the bar.

The game threatened to meander into a stalemate soon after, but industrious midfield play by Michael Timlin saw him nip in front of Joss Labadie inside the box, and after being bundled over the former Fulham man was bundled over by Labadie, referee Linington pointed to the spot.

However, elation turned to despair for Town fans seconds later, as Tony Warner guessed the right way and palmed Charlie Austin's penalty clear of danger.

It nearly got worse for Town after 21 minutes, as the ball broke to Leteef Elford-Alliyu on the right-hand edge of the box, and the winger toe-poked his first time shot against the near post, and skewed the rebound awkwardly off-target.

Danny Wilson on the touchline against Tranmere

After what was a brief spell of pressure from the visitors, both sides then began to struggle to wrestle the initiative, Thomas Dossevi's speculative 30-yard volley the only attempt at goal.

Tranmere narrowly shaded the remainder of the half, and might have gone in front through Dale Jennings had Kevin Amankwaah not blocked the youngster's back post volley bravely.

Town nearly stole the lead on the stroke of half time as a flowing move involving Jonathan Douglas, Thomas Dossevi and Charlie Austin saw the striker poke a cross into the six-yard box which Matt Ritchie was narrowly beaten to by John Welsh, and the referee blew the half-time whistle soon after.

The opening 20 minutes of the second half were nigh on as cagey as the entire first half, with Town looking marginally the better of two evidently nervous sides.

It took until the 69th minute for either side to muster a shot in anger, as substitute Alan O'Brien's cross was deflected into the path of Jonathan Douglas on the edge of the box, but the skipper's first time volley passed well over the bar.

Scott Cuthbert heads clear

Town burst into life after 72 minutes, with O'Brien involved again, breaking well on the left and crossing for Matt Ritchie, whose first time effort was well blocked by Ash Taylor, before O'Brien headed the rebound straight at Tony Warner before being ruled offside.

Rovers, having looked dangerous at times in the first half, appeared to have settled for a point as the second moved into its final stages, with Town the side striving to make most of the play, but still struggling to create a clear cut chance.

Charlie Austin fashioned an opportunity on 72 minutes, turning neatly 25 yards from goal and drilling a shot just wide of the post, but the home side looked decreasingly likely to snatch a winner.

They went agonisingly close to doing that with less than a minute of normal time remaining, as Austin controlled a neat ball from Timlin, turned and smashed the ball against the crossbar and clear of danger.

That moment looked to have summed up a frustrating night for Town, and though Thomas Dossevi stung the fingertips of Warner late two minutes into injury time and Adam McGurk almost stole it late on for the visitors with a shot which Smith tipped over, it ended goalless.

Half-Time Draw Winning Numbers

271 wins £300

52 wins £30

The official STFC Facebook group

    Data provided by Press Association