Skip to main content


21:45 29th March 2011

Report: Exeter City 1 Town 0

A penalty 13 minutes from time was enough to condemn Town to defeat at Exeter City on Tuesday night.

The twice re-arranged League 1 clash saw Ryan Harley score the only goal of the game from the penalty spot to get Paul Tisdale's men back to winning ways - and Swindon further into the relegation mire.

The Robins made just one change to the side that lost out against Brighton & Hove Albion at the weekend, with striker Mike Grella replaced by Elliot Benyon on his return to the West Country.

It was a bright start from the visitors who could have taken the lead inside the first minute. After kicking the game off, a superb driving run from Matt Ritchie saw the midfielder force a good save from Reading loanee stopper Ben Hamer.

Swindon continued to try and express themselves and were soon finding space on the St. James' Park surface with Kevin Amankwaah and Paul Caddis making the most of the open expanses out wide.

The first real opportunity for the home side came on 20 minutes with Ryan Harley firing a central free-kick high over David Lucas' crossbar.

Just after the half-hour mark David Prutton tried his luck from fully 30-yards but saw his effort dip just over.

Jonathan Douglas heads away

The home side then made their way into the game with Ryan Harley, on loan from championship side Swansea City, getting to grips with the midfield. It was Harley involved on 40 minutes as the Grecians won three corners in quick succession although the Robins did well to defend the set-pieces.

A chance fell at the feet of Jamie Cureton two minutes before the break but the frontman shot over from 20-yards with a well-taken volley.

Both sides went into the half-time break having had a fair share of the possession although the deadlock remained intact at the interval.

An early chance fell Town's way following a free-kick award 35-yards from goal. Jonathan Douglas stepped up - searching for his first goal in Swindon colours - but his powerful effort failed to test Hamer in the Exeter goal.

Paul Caddis

The Robins had another opening just before the hour mark, with Alan Sheehan stepping up to test Hamer. The Irishman struck a fine 30-yard effort which had Hamer at full stretch to tip the ball over.

Calvin Andrew was next to try his luck moments later but after powerfully advancing into the box the loanee struck his effort wide.

The game changed on 77 minutes with Scott Cuthbert penalised for a handball inside the box following a corner into the box from Billy Jones. The referee pointed to the spot with Ryan Harley on hand to dispatch the ball past David Lucas.

Swindon's response saw Matt Ritchie replaced by Crystal Palace loanee Alasanne N'Diaye who went straight into the frontline alongside Calvin Andrew and Elliot Benyon.

Despite four minutes of added time, the Robins were left to reflect on another defeat on the road but return to The County Ground on Saturday afternoon for the home clash with Hartlepool United.

STFC Player shirt offer

    Data provided by Press Association