Skip to main content


16:56 17th September 2011

Report: Burton Albion 2 Town 0

Swindon's three-game unbeaten run came to an end on their first ever visit to The Pirelli Stadium, with a goal in each half enough to see off the Town challenge. 

Despite a barnstorming start from the visitors it was the Brewers who took the lead against the run of play through debutant Billy Kee on 21 minutes, with an error early in the second period from Mattia Lanzano sealing Town's fate. Town made just one change to the line-up with Simon Ferry returning to the line-up in place of West Ham United loanee Ahmed Abdulla, who was named amongst the substitutes.The Robins started brightly with early efforts from Alan Connell and Mehdi Kerrouche inside the first five minutes although neither troubled on loan Derby stopper Ross Atkins in the Burton goal.

Paul Caddis and Matt Ritchie resumed their promising partnership down the right hand side in the opening exchanges, making the most of the pristine playing surface on offer at the compact - but impressive - Pirelli Stadium.

Ritchie had another opportunity to get his sights set on nine minutes, dragging a shot wide just after Connell has headed wide from a cross from the former Portsmouth winger.

Despite Town's dominance in the opening 20 minutes, it was the home side who took the lead with 21 minutes on the clock. A cross in from the left by Justin Richards was met by debutant Billy Kee who chested the ball home from close range to put the Brewers ahead. The goal certainly gave the home side a lift and they began to impose themselves on the game with half an hour on the clock.

Further chances came for the Brewers with Kee just missing out on a cross from Corbett on 38 minutes.

The home side played through the additional minute of first half time - taking the one goal lead into the break. Paolo Di Canio made one change to the side at the interval with youngster Miles Storey coming on in place of Connell in the frontline to partner Kerrouche.Town made an unwanted start to the second period with Lanzano's early error on 47 minutes helping to put the home side two goals ahead. The Italian stopper failed to clear under pressure from Richards and his attempted clearance fell at the feet of Jacques Maghoma who slid the loose ball home from the edge of the box.

The Robins did mount some pressure soon after the goal with several corners before the 55 minute mark was up.

Di Canio made his second change of the day on 64 minutes with Abdulla brought on to replace Ferry in the heart of the midfield. The loanee tried his luck from distance 60 seconds after coming on but fired well wide. The Town boss made his final switch soon after with Alessandro Cibocchi coming off the bench for the second time in five days, replacing De Vita wide on the left. Kerrouche went into the book with just under 20 minutes remaining, summing up what had been a period of frustration for the visitors. Town failed to really test Atkins in the late stages of the game with substitutes Cibocchi and Storey struggling to make an impact against the resolute Brewers backline.

A fifth booking of the campaign for McCormack a few minutes from time capped what had been a disappointing afternoon for Town, with the Irishman now set to serve the mandatory one-match ban against Barnet in seven days time.

Full-time: Burton Albion 2 Swindon Town 0

    Data provided by Press Association