Skip to main content


23:09 25th October 2011

Report: Town 2 Gillingham 0

Two late goals helped the Robins seal a 2-0 win at The County Ground to round off a third straight win for Paolo Di Canio's men. Matt Ritchie struck a superb goal ten minutes from time before Jonathan Smith's second of the campaign wrapped up the victory.

Town boss Paolo Di Canio named an unchanged line-up for the third successive game with home debuts for loan duo Wes Foderingham in goal and Cristian Montano up front. The visitors included three former Town players - Frank Nouble, Curtis Weston and Jo Kuffour - in the starting side with Andy Frampton on the bench. There were early chances for both sides with Gillingham's Luke Rooney going close before Jake Jervis headed wide from a Paul Caddis cross before the ten minute mark.

The Robins continued to enjoy plenty of possession with much of the possession coming through the heart of the Town midfield. Wes Foderingham, making his home debut on loan from Crystal Palace, was called into action to deny former Chris Whelpdale on the half-hour before making an outstanding stop before the break from Jo Kuffour. Former Town loanee Frank Nouble found space on the right with the ball floated in for Kuffour but he was denied by a flying save from Foderingham with Alan McCormack on hand to clear the danger.

Defensive heroics came at a cost for the Irishman who sustained a boot to the knee right on the goal line and after attempting to continue, he was replaced by Italian defender Alessendro Cibocchi who slotted in at centreback alongside Aden Flint. After going into the break all-square, Town saw a free-kick from Cibocchi fly straight into the arms of Rooney nine minutes in. Just after the hour mark Rooney produced a moment of individual brilliance to create space on the edge of the box before hitting a shot which cannoned off the post, back across goal and eventually away from the dangerzone much to Town's relief.

Ritchie had a chance to win the game on 77 minutes but his low drive from a Ferry pass was easily gathered by Ross Flitney in the Gillingham goal in front of the Town End.

Flitney had no such luck three minutes later. Ritchie picked up the ball some 25 yards out before cutting inside from the right onto his favoured left foot and cannoned in a shot which flew into the top corner of the net which had the majority of the 7,700 crowd on their feet. The visitors could have grabbed a share of the spoils six minutes to go when substitute Danny Kedwell inexplicably somehow missed from close range with the goal gaping. Town wrapped up the win in style with Jonathan Smith drove home a superb effort from the edge of the box. It was a finish of precision, not power, which sealed a third consecutive League 2 win.

    Data provided by Press Association