Skip to main content


16:57 6th April 2012

Report: Morecambe 0 Town 1

Paul Benson struck his tenth goal of the campaign to help extend Town's lead at the top of League 2 with a 1-0 win at Morecambe.

The striker slotted home just sixty seconds into the second half after good work from Joe Devera and Lee Holmes with the Robins cheered on by an impressive figure of 846 away supporters.

Town made two changes for the long trip to Morecambe with Simon Ferry and Alan Connell coming into the side for Jonathan Smith and Ronan Murray. Holmes returned from injury to be included amongst the substitutes on what was a first ever trip to The Globe Arena for the Robins.

It was the home side who had the first real opening of the game when Lewis Alessandra was sent clear but having advanced into the box, he was denied by a good recovering tackle from Jay McEveley.

There was an injury scare for the Robins on 16 minutes when Paul Benson clashed heads with Chris McCready but after treatment on the sidelines, the experienced frontman was able to continue.

Town continued try and find a way through with Luke Rooney and Raffaele De Vita both coming off the flanks but were unable to create any guilt-edged chances inside the opening half-hour. The first change of the day saw Rooney taken off with 39 minutes on the clock with Holmes coming off the bench in a straight swap wide on the left.

There was an opening for Ferry to shoot a minute later but his right footed effort from the edge of the box flew wide. The hosts almost took the lead just before the break when a diving header from Craig Curran was deflected wide with Town clearing the corner.

Having gone in nil-nil at the break, Town wasted little time in setting about their opponents with Benson netting the opener just a minute into the second half. A deep cross from Devera was headed back across the face of goal by substitute Holmes for Benson who finished from inside the six-yard box. The striker wheeled away to celebrate his tenth of the campaign in front of the 846 Town fans behind the goal. Soon after the goal Di Canio made his second change of the game with Connell replaced by Irish striker Ronan Murray.

Town stopper Wes Foderingham was called upon to race to the edge of his box to smother an effort from Danny Carlton on 71 minutes with the striker having raced clear. Nathan Thompson came off the bench for the remaining four minutes of the game with the youngster getting a second taste of action inside four days.

Town had plenty of defending to do inside the final minutes of the game and Morecambe had a chance two minutes from time. The opportunity fell to substitute Jordan Burrow but his right-footed volley flew wide.

Inside the five minutes of added time a header from Nick Fenton struck the upright with the hosts doing everything they could tp force a leveller, but the Robins held out to claim another vital three points towards promotion.

    Data provided by Press Association