Skip to main content


17:36 12th November 2011

Report: Swindon Town 4 Huddersfield Town

Swindon Town beat League 1 Huddersfield Town 4-1 at The County Ground to progress through to the second round of the FA Cup.

After going behind in the first half, goals from Aden Flint, Raffaele De Vita, Mehdi Kerrouche and Simon Ferry turned the game around for the Town in emphatic fashion, writes Tom Otrebski. Paolo Di Canio made four changes to the starting line-up. Phil Smith, Joe Devera, Liam Ridehalgh and Mehdi Kerrouche made way for Wes Foderingham, Callum Kennedy, Lander Gabilondo and Alan McCormack. Smith and Kerrouche started on the bench alongside youth team players Miles Storey, Louis Thompson and first year scholar Nathan Thompson. Former Town loanee Danny Ward was among the visitors' substitutes.

The first half was an open and free-flowing forty-five minutes of football with both sides having chances. Swindon could have been ahead as early as the third minute but Alan Connell could not quite stretch to make a meatier connection with De Vita's knee-high cross. It was Huddersfield who took the lead with 23 minutes on the clock through Lee Novak. The striker was allowed time and space on the edge of the penalty area to fire low and hard beyond Foderingham's outstretched right hand. The Town though, very much in the spirit of the FA Cup, took the game to their opponents in an attempt to forge a route back into the tie. Gabilondo's run at the Huddersfield defence ended in the winger skewing the ball wide when he had options available either side of him. Swindon were level just after the half-hour mark. Matt Ritchie's whipped free-kick in from the right-hand touchline was touched on in a crowded penalty area before the unmarked Flint headed in from no more than four yards out.

With the momentum well and truly behind them, Town went ahead just minutes later. Ferry's cut-back found De Vita just beyond the penalty spot and the Italian thumped the ball home. Just before the break the visitors should have perhaps levelled matters when a bouncing ball evaded the leap of Flint and bounced kindly for the unmarked Lee Novak. Through on goal with just the keeper to beat, Novak's goal-bound volley was acrobatically tipped over by Foderingham. From the resulting corner, Huddersfield skipper Anthony Kay headed over after working enough space to leap free of a defender. The second half brought the inevitable onslaught from the visitors. The Terriers' best chance fell to striker Alan Lee who found himself clear on the right hand side but his near-post effort was smartly kept out by Foderingham.

After half an hour of pressure from Huddersfield that yielded very few clear-cut opportunities, Swindon extended their lead with a sucker-punch goal on the break. Man of the Match Ferry's lung-bursting run from his own half brought him to the edge of the opposition area with second-half substitutes Etienne Esajas and Kerrouche alongside him. Ferry slipped the ball into the former on the left hand side who then crossed for the latter to tap home from five yards. To complete the comeback, Ferry capped his exemplary performance with a goal of his own. Finding himself on the right hand edge of the area and presented with the chance to shoot, the Scotsman saw his initial effort pushed away by the goalkeeper. Reacting first to the rebound, Ferry had the presence of mind to sidestep the oncoming defender before side-footing the ball into the back of the net.

So the Town march on into the next round of the FA Cup, extending their recent winning run in all competitions in the process and registering arguably their most impressive win of the season to date.

    Data provided by Press Association