Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
10 August 2019 Venue The County Ground Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


10 August 2019

A thrilling second-half at the County Ground saw Town make it two out of two in the league season, a 3-2 win moves Richie Wellens' side to second place in the table.

In temperamental weather conditions, Swindon controlled the game throughout, despite conceding first courtesy of an Olufela Olomola finish.

Town, though, showed great character and never changed their attacking philosophy throughout - Jerry Yates equalised to add to his opening day strike before Zeki Fryers put Swindon in the lead with his first for the club.

Kaiyne Woolery added a third with 90 minutes on the clock having been played through one-on-one before Mo Sagaf grabbed a consolation for the visitors.


It was the Robins who started the game with more intent early on, within five minutes Woolery rolled the ball back to Michael Doughty who floated a looping effort towards the top-right corner but his effort only rattled the bar.

Doughty pulled the strings for Town in the opening quarter of the game and it was his teasing corner that came close to opening the scoring. The in-swinger almost found a red shirt but eventually came off a Carlisle player and gratefully into Carlisle keeper Adam Collin’s grasp.

The Cumbrian side who were backed by a strong following of 298, had their best chance of the half on the 22nd minute. The ball found its way to Jack Bridge inside the area but his strike was blocked by a combination of Swindon defenders.

Town then dominated the remainder of the half without having a cutting edge, Keshi Anderson first went close as he misjudged a close-range diving header and put it over the bar.

Firing just over the bar appeared to be a re-occurring theme for Town, Yates was the next man to go close, a good run from the striker as he eventually found himself in the area but in the end his shot whistled over.

Richie Wellens would have been pleased with the performance, if not the scoreline going into the interval as first Woolery, then Yates stung the palms of Collin just before the whistle.

HALF-TIME: Swindon Town 0-0 Carlisle United


Having been outplayed for the majority of the first-half, it was the visitors who snatched a goal against the run of play on the 51st minute, Thomas with a superb run down the left flank, he drove to the by-line and cutback for Olomola who had the simplest of finishes.

However, just five minutes later, Town were back on level terms. Lloyd Isgrove shifted the ball well down the right, Jordan Lyden got a flick on and somehow the ball ended up at the feet of Yates who stabbed home having picked himself up off the deck quick enough to react.

Town didn’t stop there as they came inches away to taking the lead on a couple of occasions. Doughty’s free-kick almost skimmed the top of the bar, then Anderson threatened down the left, a frightening turn of pace was followed by a left footed shot that flashed across the face of goal.

Any sign of nervousness was quashed in the 69th minute by Fryers. Doughty who threatened from set-plays all afternoon, whipped in another fine corner and Fryers rose highest to give the Robins the lead.

Wellens side continued to play on the front foot despite having the lead and were handed a man advantage in the 83rd minute. Former Town midfielder Chanice Carroll dived in recklessly on Lyden and the referee adjudged it to be red card worthy.

Woolery virtually wrapped up all three points in the 90th minute as Town made the advantage pay, the winger was slipped in through on goal and this time could make no mistake from inside the area.

There was enough time for the visitors to pull one back through Sagaf as he tapped home a dangerous cross into the area but it could only be classed as a consolation on a difficult afternoon for Steven Pressley’s side.


FULL TIME: Swindon Town 3-2 Carlisle United

Advertisement block

Advertisement block