Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
22 February 2020 Venue The County Ground Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


22 February 2020

An early second-half goal glut was enough to secure three valuable points for Swindon at the top of League Two as they saw off Ian Holloway’s Grimsby.

Swindon ran out 3-1 winners after goals in the 46th,48th, and 52nd minute proved the difference at the County Ground.

Jerry Yates opened the scoring just after the break, before he turned provider for Diallang Jaiyesimi two minutes later. Six minutes after that the game was gone with Luke Hendrie turning into his own net to make it three.

James Hanson pulled one back for the visitors but it wasn’t enough to stop the Town picking up the 28th points from a possible 30 at home.

First Half

The game’s first 20 minutes were full of high-octane football on the part of both sides; however, Swindon converted the frantic football into more chances.

Seven minutes in and a raking 70-yard pass from Rarmani Edmonds-Green found  Eoin Doyle – his touch brought him inside and he jinxed into the area. His shot was blocked by Luke Waterfall before falling to Lloyd Isgrove but his resultant effort was flicked onto the bar as it flew through a mass of bodies.

After surviving the early pressure, Grimsby worked their way forward and after a Mariners’ corner was clearer – Charles Vernam crossed and Waterfall nodded header towards goal. Fortunately, Steven Benda was ready for it and reacted well to tip over the bar.

Four minutes later, Michael Doughty went as close as anyone – he wiggled his way to edge the box but his right-footed shot cannoned back off the post.

Grimsby managed to calm the game down and it took until 35 minutes for the next real chance to be fashioned. Doughty, again, but this time his effort, with his stronger foot, was deflected wide of the goal.

Second Half

The only thing missing from the first half had been the opening goal – and Swindon didn’t make the home crowd of 8,180 wait too long. In fact, it was only a minute. Paul Caddis spun a pass in behind Grimsby’s left side to Jaiyesimi. He clipped a delicate cross to Doyle at the back post, who’s knock down was into Jerry Yates’ path and, from a yard out, Yates put the ball into the net.

Two minutes later and the lead doubled – a flowing, quick move saw Michael Doughty slip a through ball to Yates. His deflected cross found Jaiyesimi who craned his neck and nodded in, despite the best efforts of James McKeown in the Grimsby goal.

To round off a gluttonous seven minutes, Luke Guthrie was the unfortunate defender to divert Lloyd Isgrove’s cross into his own net to effectively seal the three points that would keep Town top.

James Hanson clawed a goal back for the hosts just past the hour mark as the visitors opened the game up in the hope of achieving an unlikely comeback.

No such comeback ever looked likely to happen and it was the home side that had the best chances as they counter-attacked. Michael Doughty almost rounded off an excellent afternoon in midfield with a goal for himself but was prevented by bodies on the line.


Advertisement block

Advertisement block