Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
21 October 2017 Venue The County Ground Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 1-0 Wycombe Wanderers

Reds Claim Hard-Fought Win At Home

21 October 2017

Swindon Town produced a professional display to claim a hard-fought 1-0 win against Wycombe Wanderers at The Energy Check County Ground this afternoon.

Harry Smith made an instant impact upon his return, slamming home from a Matt Taylor cross to give his side a richly deserved lead at the break, and his second goal of the season proved to be the winner. 

Dave Flitcroft decided to make two changes from the team that suffered a 1-0 loss to Lincoln City in midweek, with Donal McDermott replacing Paul Mullin who dropped to the bench. 

There was also a return for Harry Smith who took the place of Luke Norris to lead the line in a 4-2-3-1 formation. 

Town were looking to bounce back from Tuesday night's disappointment and they were able to carve out the first real chance of the game with Amine Linganzi seeing his header palmed away by Scott Brown. 

That proved to be a warning sign and the hosts made the most of their next opportunity to take the lead with just 15-minutes on the clock. 

Matty Taylor swung a cross into the box and Harry Smith was able to keep his composure to fire home a superb volley. 

The Reds were well on top and they soon fashioned another opportunity with Linganzi thudding wide from Donal McDermott's cutback. 

It was all one-way traffic in windy conditions at SN1 as Smith went close to grabbing a second goal, but his downward header from Anderson's cross was smothered by Brown. 

Anderson then saw his drive from 25-yards held by Brown, while Sam Saunders fired just over at the other end. 

Wycombe finished the first-half the brighter of the two sides but they were unable to go in level at the break with Adebayo Akinfenwa shooting wide on the turn, while Nick Freeman was also off-target with a header.

Town had to weather an early storm after the interval with The Chairboys trying their best to haul themselves level. 

Akinfenwa sent a half-volley towards goal but Reice Charles-Cook did well to bat the effort way to safety. 

Swindon soon found their feet again though and they went close once more with Smith latching onto a clever through ball from McDermott but, despite shrugging off his marker, he was only able to lash wide.

Chances were proving hard to come by for both teams with the windy conditions making it hard, although Charles-Cook had to be alert to tip a long punt forward over the bar. 

With time running out, Town opted for a fresh pair of legs with Paul Mullin replacing McDermott in midfield. 

And the home side had one final chance to wrap up the points as Mullin stung the palms of Brown, but it didn't matter as The Reds were able to see the rest of the game out to claim a well deserved three points. 


SCORERS - Harry Smith (15).

SWINDON TOWN (4-2-3-1) - Charles-Cook; Purkiss, Lancashire (C), Preston, Taylor; Dunne, Linganzi; McDermott (Paul Mullin 85), Anderson, Goddard; Smith. 

SUBS NOT USED - Henry, Robertson, Knoyle, Iandolo, Gordon, Woolery. 

WYCOMBE WANDERERS (4-4-2) - Brown; Bean, Jacobson, El-Abd (C), Scarr; Gape, Saunders (Ebere Eze 65), Bloomfield, Freeman (Dayle Southwell 80); Cowan-Hall (Craig Mackail-Smith 65), Akinfenwa. 

SUBS NOT USED - Ma-Kalambay, O'Nien.


SWINDON TOWN - Harry Smith. 

WYCOMBE WANDERERS - Paris Cowan-Hall, Joe Jacobson, Marcus Bean.

Referee - John Brooks.

Attendance - 7,114. 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account