Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
06 October 2018 Venue The County Ground Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


6 October 2018

Swindon drew for the second game in a row at home with Matt Taylor scoring a trademark free-kick to cancel out John-Joe O’Toole’s opener for Northampton.

O’Toole put the Cobblers in front just before the hour mark, crashing home at the back post.

But when Town needed a moment of quality, Taylor was on-hand to curl a trademark free-kick into the corner and level the game.

First Half

Northampton could have been in front within a minute – Andy Williams was stretching and was unable to turn a right-footed effort at the back post past Luke McCormick.

Up the other end the ball went and it was nearly a bizarre opener – David Cornell cleared the ball with Adebayo hunting him down. The ball cannoned off the striker but spun away from the goal, rather than into it.

Town were putting the pressure on – Marc Richards tried a speculative bicycle-kick which Cornell was equal to and a minute later Cornell was on form again to Prevent James Dunne from point-blank range.  That was the best chance of the half by quite a way.

It took until the 19th minute for any other Town chance – Jermaine McGlashan spun has man, cut the ball back to Steven Alzate. Alzate feinted a shot, and flicked to Richards who couldn’t get past the Cobblers stopper once again.

Sam Hoskins had the chance of the half for the visitors when the ball bounced out of midfield, over the top with the striker running onto it – McCormick managed to get a fingertip to the former-Southampton youngster’s effort.

Second Half

Swindon dominated the possession after the restart but Northampton were holding firm and had the two best chances on the break.

Hoskins was proving a nuisance in behind and after floating the ball to Matt Crooks, who snatched at his header, he had a driven effort saved by McCormick.

On 58 minutes, the deadlock was broken and not in Town’s favour – John-Joe O’Toole slammed home from a corner to put the visitors one-up.

Then came the reaction. Richards and McGlashan were sacrificed with Keshi Anderson and Scott Twine coming on.

Anderson was first to almost get the Town level – he reacted to a second ball on the edge of the are and shot. Cornell got his body behind it once again.

Town needed an added bit of quality and they got it with just under 20 minutes to spare – Matt Taylor whipped the ball up and over the wall and into the back of the net. Trademark stuff from his famous left-foot.

Twine’s addition added a new energy to the Town attack with Anderson providing width – the latter of the two subs played an enticing ball into the box which Toumani Diagouraga was inches away from.

That was the best of the chances as Northampton shut up shop to deny Town the three points.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account