Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
11 January 2020 Venue The County Ground Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports


11 January 2020

Rob Hunt and Danny Rose’s first goals for the club ensured a clinical 3-1 victory against Crewe Alexandra, in front of a raucous County Ground.

Hunt opened his Robins goal-scoring account with a strike from thirty yards that skimmed off Crewe defender Nicky Hunt’s head, on its way past a surprised Will Jaskeleinen

Town came into the contest three points clear at the top of League 2, but were knocked off their perch at the beginning of the second half when Charlie Kirk and Chuma Anene combined to equalise against the run of play.

However, in the face of the driving wind, Wellens’ side blew Alexandra away with a fierce attacking flurry that saw two goals scored in three minutes.

Jerry Yates relieved any supporter’s worries after Anene’s equaliser with a devastating finish into the roof of the net, after Hunt found him with a lofted pass beyond the defence.

Captain Danny Rose finished the contest when he smashed a loose-ball in on the half-volley, just two minutes after Yates put the Robins back in the lead.

It was a strong performance from the Robins who moved up a gear after being pegged back by the Crewe Alexandra equaliser.

First Half

Richie Wellens’ men were unbeaten domestically at home since September, but Crewe was the stronger of the two sides in the early stages of the game.

Steven Benda was called into action after 15 minutes, getting down quickly beating out a firm 20 yard shot from Callum Ainley.

Crewe enjoyed the possession but struggled to carve out any clear cut opportunities.

Swindon grew into the game and had the lead after 32 minutes, courtesy of both Hunt’s on the pitch.

The first goal of the contest came via both Hunts on the pitch. Town’s Rob Hunt went for the spectacular with a thirty yard effort and was rewarded when his effort deflected of Crewe’s Nicky Hunt and past a shell-shocked Will Jaaskelainen.

Jerry Yates almost doubled the Robins’ lead before half-time, after Michael Doughty floated a dream of a cross to the back post, but it was just out of Yates’ reach. 

Not even a minute later and Yates was bothering the Crewe defence again, this time he got in behind and hit a fierce cross on the half-volley which was flicked on by Woolery just past the back post.

Second Half

Paul Caddis and Diallang Jaiyesimi caught the Crewe defence off guard with a quick short corner, but the latter’s shot was just over the cross-bar.

Both teams struggled in the driving wind and chances were few and far between.

But, on the hour mark Crewe clipped the Robins’ wings when Chuma Anene flicked in Charlie Kirk’s low cross from close range.

It did not take long for the home side to reply, however– Rob Hunt was involved again, this time he found Jerry Yates with a perfect lofted pass, who smashed the ball into the roof of the net. 

Three minutes later and Town had put the game to bed, Danny Rose pouncing on a loose ball in the box to smash home on the half-volley.

A couple of fizzing crosses across the face of Benda’s goal kept the Town focused but in the end the Robins deserved the three points and maintained their position at the summit of League Two.



Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account