Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:30 (UK)

11 January 2022 Venue One Call Stadium Attendance

Kick off 19:30 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 3-2 Swindon Town

Tough night for the Reds

11 January 2022

Swindon Town suffered a 3-2 defeat to Mansfield Town at the One Call Stadium in the EFL Sky Bet League Two earlier this evening.

George Maris gave the home team a very early lead before Harry McKirdy struck again to make it honours even, but Stephen McLaughlin's penalty immediately put his team back in the driving seat.

Jordan Bowery added a third for the Stags to give Swindon a mountain to climb at the break and, while Ellis Iandolo pulled one back late on, it wasn't enough on what was a frustrating night at the office.

Town Head Coach Ben Garner opted for two changes with January recruit Jake O'Brien being handed a debut after Kaine Kesler-Hayden was recalled by Aston Villa, with O'Brien slotting into the back-three and Rob Hunt taking up the right wing-back role.

In the other switch, Jonny Williams came into the Starting XI after an impressive showing off the bench against Manchester City on Friday night, with Ben Gladwin dropping to the bench.

It was a nightmare start for Town as Mansfield struck early with Rhys Oates bursting into the box and getting a cross in, which was fed to George Maris via Jordan Bowery and he was able to do the rest by sending a low finish past Lewis Ward for the first goal of the game.

Some great play resulted in Stephen Quinn getting into a dangerous area after latching on to a back-heel, and he teed up the dangerous Maris who sent a shot over the bar.


Tyreece Simpson displayed superb hold-up play and then power as he charged towards goal before slipping in Jonny Williams, who clipped a dangerous cross into the box which was eventually dealt with.

Town went close to an equaliser with 20 minutes played thanks to Ellis Iandolo, who sent a superbly struck free-kick towards goal, which Nathan Bishop did well to claw over the bar.

It wasn't long before the Reds did restore parity, though, and it was that man Harry McKirdy again who beat Bishop with a sublime finish moments after striking over from distance.

However, Mansfield hit right back as Oates led a counter-attack before being brought down inside the area by Akin Odimayo, who was booked, and Stephen McLaughlin was able to keep his cool to step up and stroke home the penalty. 

Ollie Clarke was inches away from adding a third for the hosts after sending a fierce drive just over the crossbar, before Bowery did well to come out of nowhere to latch onto a pass and then feed Oates, who skewed a shot wide.

Mansfield did add a third before the break, though, with Oates playing a superb ball to play in Bowery, who beat Ward to the ball and he was able to chip the ball over the Keeper and into the net.

McKirdy did go close again before the interval after shooting on the turn and forcing Bishop to punch the ball over the bar, but there was a lot of work to do for Town heading into the second-half.



Iandolo rose highest to meet a Louis Reed corner early in the second-half and he connected powerfully with his head, but the header clipped the bar before going over.

Ward got down well to smother a shot while, at the other end, Rob Hunt tried his luck and his long-range drive was tipped behind by Bishop.

Still trailing by a pair of goals with 20 minutes remaining, Town opted for a change as Ben Gladwin came on to replace Williams.


McKirdy pounced on a loose ball but couldn't keep his shot on target, before Jayden Mitchell-Lawson came on to replace Jordan Lyden with the Reds still looking for a way back into the game.

Harry McKirdy made way for Harry Parsons while Ryan Stirk blazed over for the Stags, and Jayden Mitchell-Lawson screwed an effort wide at the other end.

There was a glimmer of hope for Town, however, as Iandolo latched onto a wonderful ball from Jake O'Brien before weaving his way into the box and beating Bishop with a low finish into the far corner.

But it was too little too late as the Reds slipped to a frustrating defeat on the road, with their efforts in the final 20 minutes falling just short.



MANSFIELD TOWN - Bishop; McLaughlin, Hewitt, Clarke (C) (Harry Charsley 77), Bowery, Maris (Jason Law 79), Hawkins, Quinn, Oates (Richard Nartey 90), Stirk, O'Toole.

SUBS NOT USED - Stech, Johnson, Burke, Gale.

SCORERS - George Maris (4), Stephen McLaughlin (31), Jordan Bowery (43).

BOOKED - Oli Hawkins, John-Joe O'Toole.

SWINDON TOWN - Ward; Odimayo, Iandolo, Conroy (C), Lyden (Jayden Mitchell-Lawson 76), Simpson, McKirdy (Harry Parsons 84), O'Brien, Williams (Ben Gladwin 69), Hunt, Reed.

SUBS NOT USED - Idem, Crichlow, East, Grant.

SCORERS - Harry McKirdy (28), Ellis Iandolo (88).

BOOKED - Akin Odimayo, Dion Conroy, Rob Hunt.

REFEREE - Tom Reeves.

Attendance - 4, 129 (252 Away Fans). 

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account