Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 1-0 MK Dons

25 August 2012

Swindon - 1 (Ritchie '45)

MK Dons - 0

Swindon have beaten ten-man MK Dons by a goal to nil at The County Ground, extending their unbeaten run in the process.

Dons' skipper Dean Lewington was sent off before Matt Ritchie scored the only goal of the game to seal all three points for the Town.

Paolo Di Canio named the same line-up that had beaten Crawley in midweek with the only changes coming on the bench. Paul Benson missed out altogether while there was a place among the substitutes for Samsung Win A Pro Contract winner, Chris Smith.


Swindon dominated the first 45 minutes, penning their opponents back in their own half. Raffaele De Vita’s volley was well kept out by David Martin before the visitors’ goalkeeper did very well to keep out James Collins just short of the 23 minute mark. A cross from the Town right was met by Collins who had dived forward to reach the ball. Directing his header goalwards, the effort would have found the back of the net had it not been for the lightening-quick intervention of Martin to tip it over.


MK Dons have had three players sent off in their opening three fixtures of the season and with five minutes to go to the break, they extended that record to four red cards in four matches. Skipper Dean Lewington was adjudged to have elbowed Simon Ferry and, after consulting with his linesman, the referee produced a straight red card.


Buoyed by their opponents' predicament and roared on by the home support, the Town set about making their man advantage count. Just as the clock ticked over the 45 minute mark, Matt Ritchie scored the game's only goal for Swindon.


Cutting in off the right onto his favoured left foot, Ritchie arced a cross into the box looking for Collins. The striker couldn’t quite stretch to reach the ball and, with Martin rooted to the spot, the cross nestled in the far corner of the net.


The second half began as the first had ended with Town pushing forward. Tommy Miller’s drive from the edge of the area flew narrowly over the crossbar while Aden Flint could not get enough on a corner to direct it goalwards.


James Collins had a similar effort that careered off target while Williams forced Martin into a routine save. Indeed Williams continued to have chances, poking an effort narrowly wide of goal before setting off on a marauding run from his own half and almost snapping the crossbar in two with his effort.


Despite their man advantage, the Town appeared to retreat deeper as the visitors pushed for an equaliser. As the rain lashed down, Darren Potter tested Foderingham with an effort from the edge of the area which the goalkeeper spilled but gathered at the second attempt.


The final whistle signaled another hard-fought victory for the Town. Another three points combined with another clean sheet against one of the favourites for promotion this season is no mean feat. Di Canio’s men take a break from the action in midweek with a Capital One Cup second round tie at Stoke.

Swindon: Wes Foderingham; Joe Devera, Aden Flint, Alan McCormack(Capt), Jay McEveley; Matt Ritchie, Simon Ferry, Tommy Miller, Raffaele De Vita (Navarro '72); James Collins (Storey '86), Andy Williams

Substitutes: Leigh Bedwell(GK), Alan Navarro, Oliver Risser, Luke Rooney, Chris Smith, Miles Storey, Nathan Thompson

MK Dons: Martin, Otsemobor, Lewington, McKenzie, Potter, Bowditch, Chickson, Lowe, Powell, O'Shea, Chadwick

Substitutes: McLoughlin, McDonald, Williams, Ibehre, Ali, Spence

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account