Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Oldham 0-2 Town

15 December 2012

Club News

Report: Oldham 0-2 Town

15 December 2012

Oldham - 0 

Town - 2 (De Vita '27, '31)

A brace of goals from Raffaele De Vita secured Town a comfortable 2-0 win at Oldham Athletic.

The Italian’s first-half strikes handed Swindon their first three points since mid-November.

Paolo Di Canio made two changes to the starting line-up that had drawn with Doncaster last weekend. Skipper Alan McCormack returned from suspension to take up a position on the left side of defence with Joe Devera moving inside to partner Darren Ward. John Bostock dropped to the bench and was replaced by Simon Ferry.

Andy Williams forced the first save from Oldham’s Alex Cisak in the tenth minute, cutting back on the edge of the area and curling a shot goal-wards that was easily snaffled. Matt Ritchie connected with De Vita’s low cross but could not keep his effort down before the winger manufactured his own effort on target that was again equalled by the Latics’ stopper.

Just before the half-hour mark, De Vita gave Swindon the lead. Controlling a cross from the right, the Italian swivelled in front of goal and drove the ball into the back of the net.

Four minutes later, Town had doubled their advantage. Another cross from the Swindon right caused problems for the home defence. The ball was allowed to run across towards the far post where De Vita made contact. A deflection spun the ball out of the reach of Cisak and nestled in the corner of the net.

Town might have added another but Devera headed over from a corner and just before the break, Alan McCormack blazed high and wide from the left-hand edge of the area.

The second half was an altogether more pedestrian affair. Early on, Wes Foderingham gathered two long-range efforts with ease. At the other end, Chris Martin brought down a high ball before lashing high and wide of the goal. 

With goal-mouth action a rarity throughout the second forty-five, it was punctuated by two injuries. One to the linesman resulting in the fourth official taking his place. Secondly, the Latics goalkeeper Alex Cisak was forced from the field with a cut to his head. Having made all three of their permitted changes, the home side had to put Robbie Simpson in goal and play the remainder of the game with ten men.

In injury time Gary Roberts stabbed wide of goal as Town’s lead and man advantage allowed them to comfortably play out the final minutes.

Town: Wes Foderingham; Nathan Thompson, Joe Devera, Darren Ward, Alan McCormack (Capt); Matt Ritchie, Simon Ferry, Danny Hollands, Raffaele De Vita; Andy Williams, Chris Martin

Substitutes: Leigh Bedwell, Troy Archibald-Henville, Gary Roberts, Adam Rooney, James Collins, Tommy Miller, John Bostock

Oldham Athletic: Alex Cisak, Jonathan Grounds, James Wesolowski, Jean-Yves M'Voto, Lee Croft, Dean Furman (Capt), Matt Derbyshire, Cristian Montano, Cliff Byrne, Jose Baxter, Reece Wabara

Substitutes: Liam Jacob, Connor Brown, James Tarkowski, Robbie Simpson, Matt Smith, Daniel Taylor, Youssouf M'Changama

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account