Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 0-2 Macclesfield Town

3 November 2012

Club News

Report: Town 0-2 Macclesfield Town

3 November 2012

Swindon Town - 0

Macclesfield Town - 2 (Diagne '64, Thompson L OG '90)

TOWN are out of the FA Cup at the first time of asking after being beaten 2-0 by Macclesfield Town at The County Ground. 

Two second-half strikes from the visitors were enough to send them through to the second round.

Paolo Di Canio made five changes to the side that had narrowly lost to Aston Villa in midweek. Darren Ward was back in place of skipper Alan McCormack while Troy Archibald-Henville lined up in central midfield alongside Simon Ferry.

After the excitement generated by Tuesday’s Capital One Cup tie against Paul Lambert’s side, the atmosphere and intensity of the first half was understandably at a much lower level. 

Archibald-Henville had two sights of goal early on heading wide before lashing a shot from the edge of the area that flew over the crossbar. 

Adam Rooney was also guilty of shooting over and Andy Williams could not lift his effort over an advancing goalkeeper. Town also saw a clever free-kick routine blocked by a melee of blue shirts. As the clocked ticked nearer half time, Nathan Thompson let fly from the edge of the area but his left-footed effort was well held by Lance Cronin.

The second half began in similar fashion until the 64th minute when the visitors stunned The County Ground by taking the lead. A free kick from at least 30 yards out was hit by Tony Diagne who found the top corner of Foderingham’s net with a screamer of a free-kick. 

Moments later, Swindon’s task was made much harder with the dismissal of Aden Flint after the referee had judged his foul worthy of a straight red card.

Despite their disadvantage, Town went in search of an equaliser and put the pressure on their non-league opponents. Simon Ferry’s volley from the edge of the six yard box was somehow kept out by Cronin while Collins also saw an effort blocked. McEveley then picked out Williams at the far post who headed wide. 

With time and chances running out for Town, a Macclesfield break downfield sealed the game for them with a second goal. Second half substitute Louis Thompson did well to chase down the player breaking forward and managed to steer the ball back towards Foderingham. Unfortunately he put too much on the backpass and the ball carried on past the Town ‘keeper and into the back of the net, sparking a mass exodus from The County Ground. 

Town: Wes Foderingham; Nathan Thompson, Aden Flint, Darren Ward, Jay McEveley; Raffaele De Vita, Simon Ferry, Troy Archibald-Henville, Gary Roberts; Andy Williams, Adam Rooney

Substitutes: Leigh Bedwell, Joe Devera, James Collins, Matt Ritchie, Louis Thompson, Miles Storey, Aaron Oakley

Macclesfield: Lance Cronin, Ryan Jackson, Keiran Murtagh, Matthew Barnes-Homer, Amari Morgan-Smith, Tony Diagne, Samuel Wedgebury, John-Paul Kissock, Craig Braham-Barett, Anthony McNamee, Carl Martin

Substitutes: Kieran Charnock, Jack Mackreth, Junior Yiadon, Charlie Henry, Waide Fairhurst, Chris Holroyd, Pablo Mills

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account