Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 20/10/2012

20 October 2012

Match Reports

Match Report : 20/10/2012

20 October 2012

Swindon Town - 1 (Collins '18)

Scunthorpe United - 1 (Hawley '56)

TEN-man Town have been held 1-1 at home by Scunthorpe United.

James Collins put Swindon in front before Aden Flint was given his marching orders. A second-half equaliser from the Iron earned them a share of the points.

Collins was recalled to the side in place of John Bostock, who dropped to the bench, in Paolo Di Canio’s only change to the starting line-up.

After an uneventful opening to the game, Town were in front with 18 minutes on the clock. A neat passing move that swept down the right channel saw Simon Ferry play a delicate through ball into the path of Collins. Taking the ball in on goal, the striker cut back onto his left foot before stroking the ball through the legs of the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

After a period of control and passing, Town were reduced to ten men when Aden Flint was shown a red card for his second bookable offence.

The inevitable onslaught from the visitors was initially dealt with well by the Town and it wasn’t until the second half that the visitors pulled level. Moments earlier, Darren Ward had headed wide for the hosts before a cross from the right was directed home by the head of Karl Hawley.

With the wind now in their sails, the Iron went in the hunt for a second goal and perhaps should have scored when substitute Andy Barcham was sent clear. An inch-perfect through ball sliced through the Town defence and set Barcham through on goal. One-on-one with Foderingham, Barcham lifted his effort over the advancing goalkeeper but wide of the far post.

Despite their disadvantage in numbers, Town continued to push forwards although it took them until the final ten minutes to create anything of note.

Gary Roberts missed two good chances, unable to keep his shots down on both occasions while substitute Alan McCormack could only hit the side netting from a tight angle.

Minutes before the final whistle, Adam Rooney latched onto a flick on and took the ball into the area. His effort beat the goalkeeper but trickled inches wide of the far post.

Town have now drawn their last two home fixtures. Their next test is a tough-looking assignment at Crewe Alexandra on Tuesday evening.

Town: Wes Foderingham; Nathan Thompson, Aden Flint, Darren Ward, Jay McEveley; Matt Ritchie, Tommy Miller (C), Simon Ferry, Gary Roberts; James Collins, Paul Benson

Subs: Leigh Bedwell, Troy Archibald-Henville, Alan McCormack, Miles Storey, Raffaele De Vita, Adam Rooney, John Bostock

Scunthorpe: Sam Slocombe, Christian Ribeiro, Paul Reid (C), Jimmy Ryan, Leon Clarke, Robbie Gibbons, Niall Canavan, Mark Duffy, Tom Newey, Karl Hawley, David Prutton

Subs: James Severn, Callum Kennedy, Josh Walker, Mike Grella, Andy Barcham, Connor Jennings, Michael Collins

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account