Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 3-1 Burnley

25 September 2012

Club News

Report: Town 3-1 Burnley

25 September 2012

Swindon Town - 3 (Benson '19, Williams '42, Archibald-Henville '84)

Burnley - 1 (Austin '75) 


SWINDON are through to the fourth round of the Capital One Cup after a 3-1 win over Burnley at The County Ground.


Goals from Paul Benson, Andy Williams and Troy Archibald-Henville saw Swindon safely through while Charlie Austin scored for the Clarets on his return to SN1.


Paolo Di Canio was forced to make two changes to the team that had beaten Bournemouth so comprehensively at the weekend. Darren Ward was both cup-tied so in came Troy Archibald-Henville at the heart of the defence while Paul Benson replaced James Collins in attack. Meanwhile, former Swindon goal-machine Charlie Austin started in attack for the visitors.


With Austin as a spear-head, the Clarets made all the early running. Two clear-cut chances fell the way of the former Town man: he turned a low corner narrowly wide of the post before having his goal-bound header cleared off the line. The visitors even had the ball in the net but Chris McCann was flagged offside.


With 19 minutes on the clock, Swindon took the lead through Paul Benson. A short corner was worked by Alan Navarro to Jay McEveley and the full-back bent a cross in towards the six yard box. The ball dropped at the feet of Benson who turned home past Brian Jensen.


With the bit between their teeth, Town continued to create chances before they doubled their lead just before the break. A sloppy pass between two Burnley defenders was snaffled by the lurking Tommy Miller. The midfielder stroked a pass into the feet of the breaking Andy Williams who took the ball into the area and tucked home Swindon’s second of the game.


The home side picked up in the second half where they had left off in the first. With the confidence from his first goal evidently coursing through him, Andy Williams was in the thick of the action for Town, twice curling wide and then watching as his diving header was kept out by Jensen.


With 15 minutes to play, Charlie Austin pulled a goal back for the Clarets. After missing chances in the first half, there was a certain air of inevitability that, if anyone, Austin would notch against his former employers. After being sent through on goal, the striker rounded Foderingham and put the ball in the back of the net.


Town appeared to take the setback in their stride and continued to create chances at the other end. Williams again went close, cutting in onto his right foot and bending an effort just wide of the far post.


With six minutes to play, Swindon secured their passage through to the next round with a third goal. A cross from the left was allowed to come all the way across the six-yard box where Troy Archibald-Henville was on hand to squeeze the ball over the line.


With their two-goal cushion restored, Town set about adding to their tally. Williams was denied by Jensen at his near post and, minutes later, Gary Roberts’ effort was headed off the line. 


Swindon Town: Wes Foderingham, Nathan Thompson, Alan McCormack (C), Troy Archibald-Henville, Jay McEveley, Matt Ritchie, Tommy Miller, Alan Navarro, Gary Roberts, Paul Benson, Andy Williams

Substitutes: Leigh Bedwell, Federico Bessone, Simon Ferry, Aden Flint, James Collins, Raffaele De Vita, John Bostock

Burnley: Brian Jensen, Kieran Trippier, Michael Duff (C), Chris McCann, Ross Wallace, David Edgar, Joe Mills, Marvin Bartley, Brian Stock, Charlie Austin, Charlie Austin

Substitutes: Lee Grant, David Lafferty, Dean Marney, Sam Vokes, Luke O'Neill, George Porter, Kevin Long

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account