Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 4-0 AFC Bournemouth

22 September 2012

Club News

Report: Town 4-0 AFC Bournemouth

22 September 2012

Swindon Town - 4

AFC Bournemouth - 0 

TOWN scored four goals without reply to register an emphatic win over AFC Bournemouth at The County Ground.

A double from Matt Ritchie and strikes from Andy Williams and Adam Rooney capped off a dominant team performance. 

Paolo Di Canio named the same side that had seen off Portsmouth in midweek, with Nathan Thompson keeping his place at right full-back. Simon Ferry was back on the bench.

Swindon started positively with Andy Williams creating a chance for James Collins early on. Collins could only direct his effort wide of the upright. Minutes later Collins was involved once more but could not make a decent enough connection with a cross. 

With 12 minutes gone, Ritchie repeated his performance from Tuesday night and opened the scoring. Collecting a ball on the right flank, Ritchie cut inside onto his favoured left foot and unleashed an unstoppable left-footed shot that flew past Shwan Jalal and into the net.

He almost struck again shortly afterwards but this time his connection was not as pure as the first effort and he dragged his shot wide of the right hand post. 

Cherries skipper Miles Addison headed wide for the visitors before the home side doubled their advantage. Gary Roberts’ perfectly arced cross found Williams lurking in the box. The striker notched his second in as many games, throwing himself at the cross and heading the ball beyond the goalkeeper.

Before the break Bournemouth had a chance to pull once back but Foderingham did brilliantly to thwart Matt Tubbs who had fashioned a one-on-one chance. 

With the home side in control, Town continued to create chances. A neat moving involving both Ritchie and Williams ended with Roberts hooking an effort over the crossbar. 

On the hour, Tubbs spurned another opportunity when he scuffed a cross wide. Shortly afterwards, Town sealed all three points thanks to Matt Ritchie’s second of the game. His free kick from the right hand channel came through a crowded box before nestling in the far corner.

With the points now sewn up, Swindon began to play with a fluidity that comes from being in command of a football match. Williams was unlucky not to score his second of the game, hitting the foot of the post after working himself into a good shooting position. 

With five minutes to play, Town capped a dominant performance with a fourth goal. Jay McEveley’s low cross was turned into the net at the near post by second-half substitute Adam Rooney.

Maximum points from the last two games sets up the Town nicely for their Capital One Cup tie against Burnley on Tuesday evening. 

Swindon: Wes Foderingham, Nathan Thompson, Alan McCormack, Darren Ward, Jay McEveley, Matt Ritchie, Alan Navarro, Tommy Miller, Andy Williams, James Collins

Substitutes: Leigh Bedwell, Giles Coke, Federico Bessone, Adam Rooney, Troy Archibald-Henville, Paul Benson, Simon Ferry 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account