Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 16/04/2013

16 April 2013

Match Reports

Match Report : 16/04/2013

16 April 2013

Town - 4 (A Rooney '5 '25, Luongo '18, Collins '67) 

Crewe - 1 (Davis PEN '65)   

TOWN gave their play-off ambitions a shot in the arm with a dominant 4-1 win over Crewe Alexandra.

Three goals inside the first half-hour set the tone with Massimo Luongo, James Collins and a double from Adam Rooney securing three points.

Kevin MacDonald made two changes to the starting eleven with Joe Devera and Adam Rooney replacing Raffa De Vita and James Collins, who both dropped to the bench. The subsequent personnel re-shuffle saw skipper Alan McCormack move into midfield alongside Massimo Luongo with Simon Ferry taking up a position on the right. Devera started at right full-back with Nathan Byrne moving across to play at left full-back.

Roared on by an expectant home crowd, Town’s lively opening saw them break the deadlock in the fifth minute. McCormack’s floated diagonal free-kick was headed back across goal by Aden Flint for Adam Rooney to bundle home from inside the six-yard box. 

Andy Williams twice had a go at goal before having to clear off the line at the other end. Having almost conceded, Swindon raced away upfield and doubled their lead. Gary Roberts hooked a long cross back into the area where Massimo Luongo was on hand to throw himself at the loose ball and direct a diving header beyond the diving hand of Alan Martin.

Luongo then turned provider for Swindon’s third goal in the 25th minute. His whipped corner was met by Adam Rooney at the near post and his glancing header flashed beyond the Crewe defenders on the line and into the net.

McCormack and Williams both tried their luck once more before the break while Byron Moore’s snapshot at the other end crashed off the bar before flying over.

At the start of the second forty-five, Gary Roberts had the ball in the back of the net but was denied by the referee who had blown for a foul moments earlier. 

The wide-man then tried his luck from the halfway line before failing to convert a chance from inside the six-yard box. 

Adam Rooney almost added a fourth before the visitors pulled a goal back. Crewe broke with pace and Wes Foderingham caught the man on his way through leaving the referee with no choice but to point to the spot. Skipper Harry Davis converted to make the score 3-1. 

Just two minutes later, Town had restored their three-goal lead. Second-half substitute James Collins robbed the defender before advancing on goal and slotting calmly beyond Martin via the upright. 

The striker almost notched another but was twice denied by Martin. Firstly he cut back onto his right foot and saw his shot beaten away before heading straight at the Crewe ‘keeper.

Swindon Town: Wes Foderingham; Nathan Byrne, Aden Flint, Darren Ward, Joe Devera; Simon Ferry, Alan McCormack (Capt), Massimo Luongo, Gary Roberts; Andy Williams, Adam Rooney

Substitutes: Leigh Bedwell, Luke Rooney, James Collins, Raffaele De Vita, Connor Waldon, Mark Francis, Matt Jones

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account