Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 27/04/2013

27 April 2013

Match Reports

Match Report : 27/04/2013

27 April 2013

SWINDON Town will face Brentford in the Play-Offs after a 3-1 defeat at Scunthorpe United on Saturday afternoon.

James Collins scored his 18th goal of the season on 83 minutes before the home side grabbed a late leveller through Michael Collins. A penalty from Mark Duffy and an injury-time strike from Karl Hawley completed the scoring. 

Manager Kevin MacDonald made just one change to the side with Collins offered a start in place of Andy Williams who was named amongst a bench that included four Academy graduates.

The game started at a frantic pace with the home side doing their best to gain the early advantage in front of vociferous home support. The first opportunity for the visitors saw Collins take aim from the edge of the box but his low drive was gathered low to his right by Sam Slocombe in the Iron goal.

Town had the ball in the net with half an hour on the clock but after some excellent build-up play, the offside flag was raised before Gary Roberts could head the ball home. Slocombe then made an excellent stop to deny Adam Rooney after a fine through ball from Massimo Luongo before Roberts was denied from a free-kick.

The visitors kept up the pressure with a free-kick from Luongo met by Darren Ward who saw his header crash against the post, much to the relief of the home supporters. 

There were no changes for either side at the break but there were soon plenty of openings. A driving run from Luongo saw the loanee shoot over five minutes in before Mark Duffy went close at the other end.

The home side made a double switch just before the hour to try and boost their survival hopes with Christian Ribeiro and James Alabi on for Jimmy Ryan and Matt Godden. Foderingham did well to hold a free-kick from Duffy on 67 minutes as news reached Glanford Park of Colchester’s opener at Carlisle United.

Kevin MacDonald made a double switch on 74 minutes with loanee Adam Rooney replaced by Andy Williams, whilst Tommy Miller made a return to action in midfield in place of De Vita. The switch saw Roberts move to wide left and Miller on the right.

The opening goal of the game came with seven minutes of the game remaining. A ball back across goal by Williams fell to Collins who bundled the ball home from close range for his 18th goal of the campaign.
Town’s lead didn’t last long as the home side levelled things up on 87 minutes. After a corner wasn’t cleared, the ball fell to Michael Collins who lashed the ball home.

The home side took the lead inside six minutes of injury-time. After a foul by Foderingham inside the box, Mark Duffy stepped up and drove the penalty home. The Iron made it 3-1 with Karl Hawley finishing from close range but it was not enough to keep the home side in the division.

The result left Town in sixth place - with a semi-final line-up against Brentford now confirmed.

Full-time: Scunthorpe United 3 Town 1

Town: Wes Foderingham; Joe Devera, Aden Flint, Darren Ward, Nathan Byrne; Raffaele De Vita (Miller), Alan McCormack (capt), Massimo Luongo, Gary Roberts (Williams); Adam Rooney, James Collins

Substitutes not used: Leigh Bedwell (GK), Luke Rooney, Connor Waldon, Mark Francis, Matty Jones

Referee: Mr A Woolmer

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account