Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Ladies go top

3 December 2013

Club News

Ladies go top

3 December 2013

SWINDON Town Ladies moved to the top of the South West Combination League with a 4-0 victory over Newquay at the weekend.

The Town started the stronger but it was Newquay who came closest to scoring. Lucy Bounsall’s shot eluded Town keeper Robyn Levett but Amy Baker was well placed to clear the ball off the line. 

Town’s best effort came from Georgia Walters whose curling shot flew just wide of the post.  In the 16th minute the Town took the lead when Ellie Maynard neatly headed in Chantelle Lovell’s cross. 

The visitors hit back and Chyna Collings did well to head clear Lucy Bounsall’s dangerous free kick. Beth Thompson cut in from the Town’s right and forced Newquay keeper Carley Barber to make a fine save, pushing the ball onto the bar and away to safety. Katy Barker tested Robyn Levett in the Town’s goal but as the ball ran free Sam Quinn was on hand to clear. 

Georgia Walters ran though the visitors defence but keeper Carly Barber saved at point blank range. The lively Katy Barber again beat the Town’s defence but keeper Robyn Levett saved at the second attempt.

Both keepers were in action early in the second half with Carley Barber saving well from Town forward Ellie Maynard and Robyn Levett keeping out Katy Barber’s low drive. In the 55th minute the 

Town doubled their lead when Georgia Walters scored after latching onto Michelle Rich’s through pass. Five minutes later the Town got a third when Chyna Collings found Sally Butterfield wide on the left and the winger, who had just come on as a substitute, cut in to blast the ball into the roof of the net. 

Jessica Longworth played a forward ball to Katy Barker but Chantelle Lovell cleared the danger with a well timed tackle. In the 65th minute the Town got a fourth when Ellie Maynard poked in Beth Thompson’s corner. The post saved the visitors when Beth Thompson’s shot beat the keeper and at the other end Robyn Levett pushed Katy Barber’s shot onto the woodwork and the ball was cleared. 

The Town were well worth the three points against a side that had had some good recent results. 

Elsewhere, the Town Reserves beat Swindon Spitfires Reserves by five goals to two. Trailing by two goals after ten minutes the Town hit back and goals from Beccka Ash (2), Korin Coombs (2) and Sophie Jones secured the victory for the Town.

Maidenhead U16s 1-1 Swindon Town Ladies U16s

The Under-16s took on Maidenhead Under 16s. Both teams looked to take the early initiative and pressed forward from the first whistle attacking both goals with purpose. Early chances were created but dealt with by stout defending from both defences. 

It was clear with only 10 minutes gone that this was going to be a tight, well-contested game. The game ebbed and flowed with both teams trying to make that crucial breakthrough and get the first goal. Attack after attack went unrewarded for both teams as they cancelled each other out. Some really good football was being played by both sides and the midfield was where the main action was. 

Unfortunately all the hard work was to remain unrewarded as some heroic keeping by Rhiannon Brown in the Swindon goal kept Maidenhead at bay and her counterpart doing the same for her team. 

The second half was again a carbon copy of the first half however Swindon did get a reward for all the endeavours and a sublime chip into the box by Jess Graham found Amy Joliffe who calmly rounded the keeper to put Town one up. Maidenhead were quickly on the counter to try and get an equalizer and forced the Swindon defence into action on more than one occasion. Swindon tried to break on the counter attack to find that second goal that would give breathing space, however it was not to be as Maidenhead forced a corner. 

The corner was sent high towards the Swindon back post where it found an unmarked Maidenhead forward who volleyed it first time into the opposite corner of the goal to make it 1-1. The rest of the game was played out in much the same pattern as the previous 70 minutes had gone and with no further scoring it finished a hard, but fair, draw between two evenly matched teams who wanted to play good, attractive football.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account