Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 12/01/2013

12 January 2013

TOWN secured a hard-earned point at Bournemouth on a sodden afternoon on the south coast.

Andy Williams’ scored the equalising goal five minutes from time after Harry Arter had given the Cherries the lead in the first half. 

Paolo Di Canio made one change to the starting XI with Tommy Miller replacing Simon Ferry in the Town midfield engine room.

At a rain-drenched Goldsands Stadium, Swindon were on the front foot early on. Tommy Miller’s effort was turned away by David James while Danny Hollands volleyed over. 

James was also on hand to gather Andy Williams’ header before making a mess of collecting a through-ball. Town however could not capitalise on the mistake. 

With 26 minutes on the clock, Harry Arter fired the Cherries in front. Swindon failed to clear properly and when the ball reached Arter on the edge of the area, he fired across Foderingham and into the far corner of the net. 

Town continued to push and the defining moment of their half in an attacking sense came nine minutes before the break. Roberts’ low ball had both David James and Steve Cook in all sorts of bother with the ball eventually squirting out to James Collins. Six yards out and with the open goal at his mercy, the striker skewed his shot wide. 

As conditions gradually deteriorated, the half time break was extended by an extra five minutes to allow some maintenance work to be done to the pitch. 

The second half began with the Cherries on the front foot. Foderingham denied Arter with a smart stop.

Town then took over and started creating chances. Second half substitute Chris Martin fired at James before the goalkeeper did brilliantly to get a toe to Matt Ritchie’s goal-bound strike. Martin was involved again but his header was directed straight at James.

At the other end, Foderingham’s outstretched arm kept out Grabban’s header. 

With five minutes remaining, Town managed to breach the Bournemouth back line. James’ poor goal kick was headed back towards goal by Andy Williams. With the ball in no man’s land, Martin led the chase for the loose ball. After sliding in with the onrushing James, the ball squirted out to Williams who steadied himself before directing an effort into the back of the net past the covering defender on the goal-line. 

Right at the death, Chris Martin’s free kick was deflected inches wide as Town looked to seal all three points.

Bournemouth - 1 (Arter '26) 

Town - 1 (Williams '85)   

Swindon Town: Wes Foderingham; Nathan Thompson, Joe Devera, Darren Ward, Alan McCormack (C); Matt Ritchie, Danny Hollands, Tommy Miller, Gary Roberts; Andy Williams, James Collins

Subs: Leigh Bedwell, Aden Flint, Alan Navarro, Simon Ferry, Raffaele De Vita, Chris Martin, Adam Rooney 

AFC Bournemouth: David James, Lewis Grabban, Brett Pitman, Steve Cook, Charlie Daniels, Marc Pugh, Eunan O'Kane, Tommy Elphick (C), Simon Francis, Harry Arter, Josh McQoid

Substitutes: Shwan Jalal, Matt Tubbs, Wes Fogden, Donal McDermott, Joe Partington, Richard Hughes, Wes Thomas

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account