Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Town 2-0 Shrewsbury

19 January 2013

Club News

Report: Town 2-0 Shrewsbury

19 January 2013

Town - 2 (Martin PEN '49, Williams '53) 

Shrewsbury - 0  

Town scored two second-half goals to beat Shrewsbury Town at The County Ground.

Chris Martin scored his first goal in Town colours before Andy Williams wrapped up the points. Wes Foderingham also kept out a penalty. 

Paolo Di Canio made three changes to the side that had drawn at Bournemouth seven days ago. In came Simon Ferry, Chris Martin and Aden Flint for Tommy Miller, James Collins and Joe Devera. While Miller and Collins dropped to the bench, Devera missed out completely through injury.

In near sub-zero temperatures, the first half showing did little to warm the cockles. Twelve minutes in, Danny Hollands made contact with a deep corner but saw his header pushed away by Chris Weale. Fellow loanee Chris Martin then blasted an effort into the side netting from a narrow angle inside the box. 

Andy Williams took a through ball on his chest before proceeding to skew wide and, just before the break, the striker latched onto Matt Ritchie’s lofted through ball, worked a shooting opportunity but could only blaze over the crossbar. 

Much like their performance against Portsmouth on New Year’s Day, Town began the second period at a much higher tempo. Just four minutes in, their energetic start paid dividends. Andy Williams ran onto a pass before being hauled down by the covering defender. Referee Richard Clarke wasted no time in pointing to the spot. Chris Martin was given the responsibility of taking the kick and the striker notched his first Town goal, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way and stroking the ball into the corner. 

With their tails up, Swindon quickly grabbed a second. Ritchie’s deep cross was nodded back into the danger area where Andy Williams was sharpest to react and headed home from close range. 

As the temperature plummeted even further, Jon Taylor fired a shot across Foderingham’s goal and Ritchie unleashed a volley that skewed wide. 

As time ticked nearer the 90 minute mark, skipper Alan McCormack brought down the Shrewsbury right winger and the referee pointed for the second penalty of the game. Matt Richards took the kick but saw his effort brilliantly saved by Wes Foderingham who got down low to his right to keep it out.

Gary Roberts and James Collins both had opportunities that missed the target towards the end as Town looked to add to the scoreline. 

Swindon Town: Wes Foderingham; Nathan Thompson, Aden Flint, Darren Ward, Alan McCormack (Capt); Matt Ritchie, Simon Ferry, Danny Hollands, Gary Roberts; Andy Williams, Chris Martin

Substitutes: Leigh Bedwell, Jay McEveley, Alan Navarro, James Collins, Tommy Miller, Raffaele De Vita, Adam Rooney

Shrewsbury Town: Chris Weale, Jermaine Grandison, Joe Jacobson, Luke Summerfield, Darren Jones, Matt Richards (Capt), Tom Bradshaw, Marvin Morgan, Jon Taylor, Connor Goldson, David McAllister

Substitutes: Joe Anyon, Rob Purdie, Steve McGinn, Paul Parry, Yabo Mambo, Luke Rodgers, Cameron Gayle

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account